Basic Radiant Electric Fire

Anyone know a source for a basic 2 bar-type radiant electric fire? Something like this:

. . . although not that - I had one and first a bar failed, than it melted the fixings with the remaining bar.

Reply to
RJH

The Natural Philosopher

Yes, thanks, seen those - alas, they're either like the one I mentioned, are too ornate and expensive, or halogen and too bright.

It's just an old school 2 barele ctric fire I'm after.

Reply to
RJH

Yes, thanks, seen those - alas, they're either like the one I mentioned, are too ornate and expensive, or halogen and too bright.

It's just an old school 2 barele ctric fire I'm after.

Reply to
RJH

This any good?

David Brooks

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed - as mentioned in the OP. The same thing is coming up as a branded item though:

Wondering if they've improved/de-rated the design - ISTR my original was 1400w

Reply to
RJH

Indeed - as mentioned in the OP. The same thing is coming up as a branded item though:

Wondering if they've improved/de-rated the design - ISTR my original was 1400w

Reply to
RJH

Oops!

Please SHOW me what he DOES want.

Thanks.

Reply to
David Brooks

or this?

Andy Burns

They do seem to have gone out of fashion[1] - the wall mounted patio heater style are still available. Some of those are still traditional radiant rather than halogen. TLC have one dimplex listed - but "sold out"

[1] Might be a conservation of energy legislation thing...
Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect if he knew that, he probably would not have posted :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

What don't you like about the one which I showed you?

Reply to
David Brooks

Is the fellow often confused?

Reply to
David Brooks

That particular one carries a "not been tested" disclaimer with it but there are quite a few similar items under the Vintage Electric Heater category on eBay which do claim to work

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I suspect if he knew that, he probably would not have posted :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC the EU rules on local space heaters in 2015 pretty well ignored electric resistance heaters. And I think they proposed to add mandatory labelling to them for the new regs due this year but no more.

I'd suspect more the production cost of winding an element with Nichrome wire compared with the cost of more modern alternatives.

I'd also just wondered about the electrical safety for traditional fires in some jurisdictions. Not seen IP ratings for them :)

Reply to
Robin

On 29 Nov 2023, RJH wrote

I've had one that's similar to this for many years (bought from Argos):

It's never given me cause to worry if it's going to go into meltdown.

The one I have has a slightly different design than the one you pointed to, as the "bars" inside the housing are flat wires rather than circular. (I'm not clear if that's safer, but aside from the housing it's the only major difference I can see.)

Reply to
HVS

Somewhat pretty but utterly unsafe. As are a lot of old bar fires. Halogen ones tend to have a switch that turns it off if tipped. They're also shaped to discourage fallen items landing where the element is.

Reply to
Animal

I's another of the 'I want a perfect electric unicorn made of unobtanium ' posts. One strike and he's out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher