Thermostat for electric blanket?

Hi all, Many years ago, I had an electric blanket with a thermostat built into the in-line switch, which had a rotary dial via which you could selct your desired cut-off air temperature. It seemed wonderfully effective. For some reason, such electric blankets are no longer available, as far as I can tell. I could buy a thermostatic plug adapter for around 20, and I'm not sure how reliable they are. Furthermore, I want to thermostatically control more than one electric blanket in my household. Can anyone suggest a cheap way to control an electric blanket via some sort of thermostat?

TIA.

PK

Reply to
Phil K

Seem a bit of a nonsense having a thermostat sensor separated from the heating blanket. The effect of the blanket is almost never going to be able to reach the sensor and to the blanket will never turn off.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They are not availble because a lot of people were killed when the bed caught fire a long time ago. You were supposed to turn them off before you got into bed, people didn't.

I suppose you might still get one form some foreign place.

Reply to
harryagain

Not cheap, but I'd buy a new one with a thermostat built-in.

I posted here some time back (just over a year ago IIRC) when looking for a new one for our bed - spent about 100 but it was worth it (was really a brithday pressy for wifey - I don't need one myself)

I got one that was split with 2 separate controls (one for each side of the bed). The thermostat claims inteligence on settings 1-5 and flat-out on setting 6. Takes 5 minutes to warm the bed on 6. I think the way it works is that the resistance wires need a bit of pressure to work better, so when you're lying on-top, it only really heats up the bit you're on. (and the bit at the bottom is more conventional to keep your feet warm)

It has a 1 or 9 hour timer too and is designed to be run when you're on-top of it (if you like - far to warm for me!)

And it's machine washable.

I ordered direct from

no connection, just a happy customer (and they fixed up my c*ck-up with my order without fuss too - I stupidly read the matress label to get the bed size, not realising it was wrong, so had to do a return)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson