Electric blankets

Tried to buy a new single electric blanket for granddaughter. Total failure. It seems that all the current products have a life of

Reply to
Capitol

They killed lots of people. That's why you can't get one.

Reply to
harry

We bought an electric blanket a few years ago which has two separate "his and hers" panels so the two sides of the bed can be heated to different temperatures. The heating elements are fine, but the controllers which plug into the mains are total crap: so far two of them have failed, either because the control electronics failed or because all the separate wires in the plug that is plugged into the blanket pulled out of the metal terminals. As with so many things, the plug was heat-sealed shut instead of having screws, and there was no pinout available as to which wire connects to which pin.

After the second failure, I found that the importer in this country had gone out of business and ceased to exist, and the only contact information for this brand that can be found online was the importer, not the original manufacturer.

We now have one working controller (I'm kicking myself for not ordering more replacements when I replaced the first one that failed) so only one side of the blanket is usable.

Reply to
NY

I'd not use an electric blanket far too dangerous unless low voltage then thee wiring is too thick. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's no reason they can't be made safely. Temperature limiter to stop fires, and low voltage to stop shocks.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A couple here:

I got the 2nd. one 'superior' about 6 weeks ago - it's OK on the middle setting. It's under, not over, but you don't say which you want.

Reply to
PeterC

(Peter Hucker)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Did you notice the stock levels? 1 - 7 - no stock - 4

Looks like it might be a stock clearance and there might not be any more to come, in view of previous comments.

I was thinking about getting a new blanket - I think I'll get one while the going's good!

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Wanted over, but under seem just as unreliable.

Reply to
Capitol

Best link I can get to "lots of people" is

ARW

You don't want to rely on a device to shut it off (at least at the price point most people would pay), but you don't need to. Ours simply uses self-regulating heating cable that increases its resistance and lowers its heat output as it gets warmer. Nothing to go wrong and self-limiting.

I can't remember if it is low voltage as well though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We?ve been happy users of a Dreamland Intelliheat blanket for the last few years. Available in single bed size too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So I was correct, it's easy enough to make it not catch fire.

Anyway, you'd wakeup pretty quick if you were scorched.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nothing has changed since then. When in electric board saw several fire aftermaths. As usual, victims died of smoke inhalation, not burning. Usually old people. If you're going to have an electric blanket, unplug it before going to bed. But hot water bottle is safer.

Reply to
harry

There's no 100% sure test for electric blankets.

Reply to
harry

At some point the "normal" flex is joined to the heating flex in the blanke t. This where they often fail. There is no 100% test of how secure this joint is. I have seen many failed blankets. Most now I 'spect are made in China or somewhere & are as suspect as they w ere years ago..

Reply to
harry

Yes, 7DS tends to get something in, offer it, then not have any more.

Reply to
PeterC

In your opinion perhaps. But do you have any evidence?

In 1999 many electric blankets will have been designed and sold only for pre-heating with no thermal control at all. Very many of those will have been replaced by ones which were designed for all night use and have thermostats.

There's also a bit of a contrast between 20 deaths and 5,000 fires a year in Adam's link and the Which? report in 2013 that "3,700 fires have been caused per year as a result of faulty appliances" - of which electric blankets accounted for just 2%.

Now I don't trust Which? to get things right but those figures tally with the the official stats from ONS which show around 4,500 dwelling fires a year from *all* faulty appliances and leads.

So you reckon it's safer for nonagenarians to pour hot water into the narrow neck of bottles and take them to bed (where they may leak) than to turn on an all night under blanket? Have you adjusted for the risks of scalding which in elderly people can more often prove fatal? And for the health benefits (even leaving aside quality of life!) of a blanket which keeps them warm all over all night as opposed to a bottle which warms a bit of them for a bit?

Reply to
Robin

use a duvet.

Reply to
charles

I see no reason a joint cannot be made which is reliable.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword