Toilet install - sealant/grease on various bits?

Hi,

Just wondered, before I (finally) did it:

Is it advisable to smear something (plumbing grease or LS-X) on the rubber washers that seal the bottom entry to the cistern to the syphon? I'm aware I don't want to glue it in irremovably, but at the same time I'd like it not to leak! BES sell some silicone grease for plumbing - wondered if this was an intended application?

Ditto pan spigot to pan connector (rubber ring seal) - seem to recall using some special grease a long time ago, but that was into an old iron pipe that was rough.

Ditto again the flush pipe into back (had to use a load of silicone on the old bog to stop this leaking but the rubber was a bit hardened with age).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used silicone sealant in one case where the porcelain was too poorly molded to make a good seal on the rubber. Otherwise I would not have used anything.

I use a smear of ordinary soap to make assembly easier. The water will wash it away. You don't want silicone grease because the parts will then slide apart too easily, and possibly not stay together.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 16:07

Thanks Andrew. I'll go with nothing in the first instance, save for the lubricant (I actually have a can of silicone oil spray as I've done so manty push fit 110mm pipes - that's pretty good. Dries off and the joints don't slip after a while).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I always use a smear of LSX.

Silicone lubricant.

This is a low level then? Normally just use a new connector. If its close coupled I use Plumbers Mait.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman