Silicone grease on diaphragm washer

I think I read somewhere that applying a small amount of silicone grease to the rubber diaphragm washer in a toilet cistern water inlet valve will improve the seal and increase the lifetime of the washer.

Is this true?

Reply to
M.Joshi

I always use silicon grease on all threads and seals when doing plumbing wo= rk. Not sure if it makes them last longer, but threads are easier to snug u= p, and seals seem to seal better. Also, and this is the major issue, gettin= g things apart in the future is much easier. For non-plumbing jobs, stuff l= ike anti-seize is also useful on threads you want to get apart later -- lug= nuts, stuff exposed to the weather, etc.

73 /paul W3FIS
Reply to
deadgoose38

I've used "silicone" grease for outdoor antenna connections because silicon is too abrasive but makes great semiconductors. The best thing to use on plumbing connections is Teflon bearing pipe dope or a product I use for a lot of things called Leak Lock. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Generally, yes.