Leaking outlet.

Just finishing off the second shower room and have a small problem of the waste outlet from the sink leaking. I bought toilet/wash hand basin package from B & Q a while ago and have just finished its installation. The only way I can describe it is with the following link.

the basin waste is secured to the base of the sink, there's a leak where the nylon screw connector contacts the porcelain. There was no washer supplied in the packet. Should there have been? I have tried smearing some plumbers Mait but it's still leaking.

What's the solution?

Reply to
Topref

There should usually be a big rubber washer that goes *under* the sink against the backnut. Sometimes there is also a thin foam washer that sits under the polished bit in the sink but this is less important.

A smear of silicone grease on the washers will also help both getting a good seal and also tightening.

Sounds like you are missing a bit. You could probably bodge it with a application of silicone or fernox LS-X.

Reply to
John Rumm

>>> Where the basin waste is secured to the base of the sink, there's a

John is spot on. Thin foam washer under the waste, thick black rubber washer under sink. Go back to B&Q & complain.

Smear everything with LSX before assembly. Ignore any instructions which state "sealant is not required".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Done thank you gents. It's sorted as per your instructions.

Reply to
Topref

LSX is a thing of wonderous beauty...........

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Its also the mother of evil when you are trying to remove heating cylinder elements when the previous 'craftsman' has bodged it. GRRRR

Steve (But I have got a tube in my toolbox)

Reply to
Stephen Dawson