Basin waste

I'm re-fitting a replacement washbasin and pop up waste - the press up, pre ss down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to the ba sin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just use the su pplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers plus Plumbers Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off if sometime in t he future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one of those tapered r ubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the bas in and and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing pip ework. TIV
On 17/04/17 17:57, petek wrote:

Plumbers mait
and also underneath between backnut and basin?
No need to seal there

yes on the top.
No need underneath

I have no idea what you have just been saying there. Is there a question?
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

If you don't properly seal between the bottom thread / nut and basin it will leak - at best only when you empty the basin.

Sory - my comment applies when there is a slotted waste for an overflow.
On 17/04/17 18:56, DerbyBorn wrote:

Ah. That is an entirely different matter.
let them."
On 17/04/17 18:54, DerbyBorn wrote:

why?
let them."

The overflow "chamber" will have water in it and this water can seep down the thread due to the slight clearances in the threads. A washer alone will not seal the actual thread.
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:57:36 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:

ress down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to the basin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just use the supplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers plus Plumbe rs Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off if sometime in the future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one of those tapered rubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the b asin and and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing p ipework.

Thanks for your comments. My gut feel and i think confirmed by your comment s is to use the washers and Plumbers Mait both top and bottom. It is in fac t a slotted waste for the overflow, but even if it were not I think I shoul d still use Plumbers Mait underneath.So that's what I'll do. My comments about silicone and the rubber bung thing were merely to pre-emp t answers along these lines. Thanks again.
On Monday, 17 April 2017 20:21:44 UTC+1, petek wrote:

press down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to th e basin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just use th e supplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers plus Plum bers Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off if sometime in the future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one of those taper ed rubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the basin and and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing pipework.

nts is to use the washers and Plumbers Mait both top and bottom. It is in f act a slotted waste for the overflow, but even if it were not I think I sho uld still use Plumbers Mait underneath.So that's what I'll do.

mpt answers along these lines.

There is no reason to use any seal on the top side of the plughole. Doing s o just shows it to be an amateur job. Underneath must be sealed. The rubber washer ought to do it, but that doesn't mean it will. I like silicone as i t's effective, cheap, in stock, easy to go get if necessary, and removes ve ry easily.
NT
On 17/04/2017 20:21, petek wrote:

Basin Mate is often recommend on this newsgroup (note this is very different to Plumers Mait)
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Washers+%26+Fixings/sd2703/Basin+Mate/p37534
https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/basin-waste-seal-kit.html
Instrauctions
https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/images/cache/Plumbing/Wastes_and_plugs/Basin_Waste_Seal.500.jpg
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:57:34 -0700, petek wrote:

I usually use a very thin layer of Plumber's Mait on the top surface only - but leave a gap round the edge so it doesn't squidge out and become visible.
petek expressed precisely :

Yes, both..

Use a Basin Waste Sealing Kit, e.g. https://www.bes.co.uk/1-1-4in-basin-waste-sealing-kit
No gunk or glop or gloop required anywhere.
--
Andrew Gabriel
snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in

Looks good - I don't like using gunges.