plumbing - joining plastic to copper, basin waste

Our handbasin waste pipe is a 28mm OD copper pipe. That is, the pipe that comes through the floor is 28mm. What's the best way to join a

32mm plastic to it so I can them use a plastic trap? Will just putty do? That's what seems to be there now but it look horrible and I don't know how reliable it'll be. It's quite a large gap to seal with just putty so I've looked for copper to plastic adaptors but no luck yet with the sizes involved.
Reply to
dave

What type of plastic are you using? Solvent weld ABS or PVC or compression fit?

I'm cooking right now, but if you have a look at Screwfix or Toolstation, pretty sure there is a "universal" adaptor that basically is a plastic compression fitting with a lumpier bit of rubber that will mate various things with quite a lot of forgiveness.

Sure someone else can add more...

Reply to
Tim Watts

A 32mm "universal"(i.e. plastic compression) fitting will probably do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. (I'm using solvent weld)

Reply to
dave

Pretty sure John's right with 32mm.

"Universal" should do your copper. It says for one of them:

"Made from polypropylene, this quick and easy to install waste system incorporates a compression outlet that accepts plastic pipes to BS 5254 and BS 5255 and copper pipes to BS 659 and BS 2871. No solvent welding required. It is recommended that externally installed polypropylene waste systems are protected against prolonged exposure to sunlight with exterior gloss paint. Manufactured to BS5254, BS EN 1451-1: 2000."

32mm waste pipe is 32mm outside diameter so the copper is a liitle bit smaller. If you find it won't do it, one of the rubber couplers on the same Screwfix page will for sure.

But don't mistake the Universal for the regular waste compression. Looks similar from the outside but will NOT go down tight enough for the copper.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Great. many thanks. I was on the point of of ripping out the copper back to the wall hopper and replacng the lot - just becuase of this one joint!

Reply to
dave

Just as a ps The plastic (weld) pipe pipe I have from Wicks measures i/d = 32 i/d and o/d = 36 mm

printed on it is 36mm x 1.8mm waste 1 1/4 32 MUPVC

I take it that means inch and a quarter - which was the best guesstimate I could do at the time. These pipe sizings are a bit confusing - to me anyway.

Those adaptors look just the job so hopefully can do the job now. tvm

Reply to
dave

Ah - sorry - I was looking at a table and must have seen the OD for push fit (compression) plastic - which is different.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Keep in mind that there are several versions of inch and a quarter as well... the push fit and the solvent weld stuff are deliberately made in incompatible sizes.

Reply to
John Rumm