Todays top tip

Which does what I have bound it to. This isn't even Windows.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This keyboard was manufactured 25 years ago this month. And has been in daily use since I bought it new.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm using one here. ;-) Nice clunky one from the '90s. Cream in colour with black lettering - all still in perfect condition. The expensive wireless one on the other machine (with a Windows key) - which hasn't had as much use - looks worn out. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine's 22, it's a HP 'Windows 95' keyboard.

The bacteria laid down then has spawn many new lifeforms since and I suspect me dunking the thing in bleach will be resisted most strongly by their intelligence that probably surpasses my computer's CPU!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Mine gets taken apart and cleaned about every 3 years. Apart from anything else, there's all the white hairs jammed under the keys!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I suppose that saves the burglars the trouble of carrying their own (near universal) window lock keys.

Reply to
Max Demian

Do what I did, and mistakenly get a spanish keyboard for your laptop then try and find the @ symbol( they have extra things and have to find a way to accommodate them on the key board) You have to right shift instead of left shift and other things are in different places. First look at keyboard it looks normal until you start to use it.

Reply to
F Murtz

Are you sure that you don't want the space key disabled? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I'd have them write out 1000 lines (by hand), something like "A computer is not a typewriter".

Reply to
Tim Streater

My windows key is in the second vase along on the mantelpiece. Sadly no one has phoned me to ask about it. Maybe I should move now for security.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nothing changes then. Bck in the 1980s a friend who drove took ups on holiday to Guernsey. we hired a car. A Fiat Tipo. the first three letters of the name were very apt. Firstly the top corner of the drivers door was so sharp it cut the chin of our friend when the wind caught it. Next there was an annoying rattle soeomewhere inside the dashboared, finally the stalk with all the controls broke of the steering colum, it was clear that the plastic mooulding was thin and faulty at that point. This was a brand new car. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good point, I shall try to be more public spirited next time.

Reply to
newshound

It's a compromise between safety and security. I don't want the burglars to fall to their death from the top-floor flat, but I also don't want them to be trapped in the event of a fire :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Although that's mostly how it gets used.

Reply to
Huge

Reminds me of being in the company's Swedish office using one of their desktops, trying to send an email and, like you, unable to get @. The first time I ever found a use for .

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:o7f99s$l1f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

At the same time the British Industry was turning out - dated junk with similar problems. All cars have improved in their functionality.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I do

it's in the kitchen drawer next to the meter cupboards keys

tim

Reply to
tim...

I can well remember the hassle trying to produce a decent looking document on a basic typewriter.

The ability to compose on the screen and then print out something that looked professional was a godsend here.

Of course a decent typist with a very expensive justifying typewriter could produce something very nice too. But not me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some of the UK industry was - but some of it not.

Not sure functionality is the right word. The function remains the same - but the way it is achieved has been refined. Would be odd if it wasn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never been quite certain of having key locking windows. Do they stop someone breaking a window to gain access?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)