From experience (40-odd years ago), storing a combined UV/Infra-red
lamp under the bed and accidentally plugging it in instead of the
electric blanket sets light to a mattress very well! The lamp did have a
safety switch to stop it operating if it was closed or knocked over, but
it was a mercury switch and made contact if it was stored upside-down :(
Not remotely. You can't beat a horse hair stuffed mattress for smoke
generation. If the mattress Adam burned was horse hair, then it would
have been a wondrous sight to behold indeed. Kids today have no idea of
all the fun they've been swindled out of by our crusading environmental
In a houseshare when young one of the things we did not have was a
lawnmower and the grass and weeds got to about two foot tall. Then one of
the lads came home with sickel , it was a warm weekend and by Sunday the
grass was turning to hay quite nicely. We were sat on the doorstep waiting
for the pub to open wondering how to get rid of it .” Might burn I’ve seen
farmers burn stubble “someone said “give it a match then”.
The result was quite good but smoky, some neighbour called the fire brigade
which was a bit OTT,it had burnt out in minutes. The slightly peeved
fireman gave us a lecture and left, they were back a few months later but
that was due to us leaving a coin gas meter on the step with a note to the
meter man who was insisting on emptying it and left a note to say he would
call. The landlord had the meter disconnected when we moved in and the part
of the house it served connected to the ordinary meter and only had about
50p in it.
Unwilling to take time of work we placed it on the doorstep and the note
invited the meter man to take the 50p
and the meter or leave it and we would pit it back later.
Came home to find a fire engine,gas personnel , Police and a cordon keeping
people away from the vicinity of the house which really peed off the
Turned out the gas fitter who took it out of circuit although an actual
gasboard fitter was a mate of the landlord
and did it for a pint which meant no records were amended.
On Sunday, 3 November 2019 14:02:43 UTC, ARW wrote:
My father burned the old sofa cushions on a bonfire - they predated any safety regulations and even as a small child I was surprised the fire brigade didn't turn out at the dense plume of black smoke.
I know someone who had a massive number of soiled fecal incontinence
items to dispose of. He rung their local council who said that they
couldn't help. In the end he piled them up in a corner of his field and
dropped a couple of old doors over them. Later that summer he figured
they must have dried out so he took the doors off and got some soiled
pillows and poured paraffin into them. They absorbed quite a lot
apparently. He pushed the pillows under the incontinence products and
threw in a match. He did this at 3am. For many days the smell was the
talk of the whole district. Apparently it made people want to vomit.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.