Todays top tip

Climbing through broken glass is a lot more likely to hurt than breaking the glass and opening the frame. So yes, they do a bit.

Reply to
Clive George

Ha! Me too neither :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

You can break the glass but then the window handle is still locked so you can't reach in and just turn it. You have to insert a small screwdriver blade in the lock where you would otherwise put the key, and turn that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't burglars just jemmy a window open, which would break the catch?

Reply to
Bod

The Keyboard, I'm using , bought aboutb a year ago, doesn't have Windows?Key - but then, I bought it especially because it hasn't one. It has a RISC OS gearwheel instead!

Reply to
charles

I was taught how to produce justified text on an non-justifying typewriter, and centring, and vertical centring. It all involved typing a rough first and counting lines and characters and dividing into lines per page and then retyping it all ...

Ruled tabulations were my downfall though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

We had an IBM Typesetting computer in the department that did all the counting for the operator. It was still a very skilled job.

Reply to
charles

(in summer) I leave mine in the locked, slightly open, position

locking the handle lessen the risk of someone jigging the frame to knock the handle out of the plate

FTAOD, I am not on the ground floor :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Well the third Fiat van did not break down. I did however catch a button on the driver's door panel when setting up the electric wing mirrors - a new feature to me as it was not available on the other vans - one that that pulls in the the wing mirrors for you.

This caused the passenger side wing mirror to fall off and smash on the floor.

Reply to
ARW

Me, too. At Skerry's College in Edinburgh.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I guess that's difficult if they're like modern doors with 7 point locks. I'd just kick in the PVC door and enter through the centre of it. PVC doors are a piece of shit, and here's an example:

James Wilkinson Sword

We had a brand new Fiat 131 in 1976.

Within 2 years it was rusty.

The fuse box kept burning fuse holders out - so we had to remove it, open it up (bastard - it was a rats nest inside) and rewire to a spare fuse.

The auto choke was a bitch for flooding.

It never started in the rain - gallows of WD40 was used on that bastard.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Someone I knew had to learn to type to Jimmy Shand records to develop an even rhythm

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I remember when cut & paste were literal, then type it all out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

When I was there, they used Sousa marches. I taught some of the girls to syncopate... (Drove the instructor nuts.)

Reply to
S Viemeister

Well, it looks professional to someone who isn't a professional.

(I worked for Xerox Tech Pubs for 8 years at one point.)

But I take your point.

Nonetheless, the vast majority of end-user computing needs could be adequately met with a machine of a specification that was current about

20 years ago.
Reply to
Huge

That's how my wife learned. On a typewriter with blank keycaps.

Reply to
Huge

*GRIN*
Reply to
Huge

Not a proper UPVC double-glazed window, they don't.

Reply to
Tim Streater
[snip]

Posh. Mine's still got a little green acorn. :-p

Reply to
Jim White