OT: Orange email is closing

Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE is closing on 31 May 2017
http://preview.tinyurl.com/jevzvzk
I've had my accounts since 1999 when I signed up for Freeserve dial-up.
The great thing that is unmatched by other free accounts is that you can put anything you like before the @ which is invaluable for tracing where spammers obtained your email and for inbox filtering and killfiling.
Also invaluable when email address is required for a login, because you can have multiple variants for multiple accounts, it's this that I am going to miss most.
I suppose I should be thankful that the service has been available for as long as it has.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 00:15:57 UTC, Graham. wrote:

If you get your own domain name (which isn't free but is only a few quid a year) and forward all the incoming mail to a gmail account you get the above for incoming mail. Changing the "from" address to your own-domain in gmail is more awkward.
Owain

its now ?8 a year for a .co.uk not a big expense, but not a few quid a year
-
On 08/02/17 15:47, Mark wrote:

£8 is a few compared with £360
What is te coat of broadband? about £30 a month inc rental of the line. what is £8 a year compared to that?
Even my virtual server costs less than the means to access it.

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of

Its gone up from 2014 ?6 for two years to ?8 for one year inconsequential cost for a business but not great value (IMHO) if you are only using it for email forwarding
-
On 09/02/17 16:35, Mark wrote:

Depend who you buy your domain from. Mythic Beasts £7 one year, £58.50 for ten years Joker.com £7.12 one year

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Since when has 8 not been 'a few'?
--
Chris Green
·

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 23:56:54 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I seem to recall it's well documented and not especially difficult.
--
AnthonyL

On 08/02/2017 00:15, Graham. wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! It would have been nice to have been notified first by EE on the email address they have for my contact details. It appears to affect all email services ever provided by Wanadoo, Orange or EE or any other minor players they absorbed in the past.

Take a look on demon.service for tips on how and where to obtain similar functionality for lowest cost. Voodofone are doing something similarly bad to their old Demon customers at the moment but with less warning (as you might expect from a bunch of cowboys).

Indeed. But all good things come to an end.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 08/02/2017 08:36, Martin Brown wrote:

+1
At least there's time to set up another (new) gmail account and remember/reconfigure all the places that might have my blah.freeserve.co.uk e-mail address for notifications, and a couple of months to catch those I'd forgotten about that I want to keep!
Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange really aren't worth it any more. The small free webspace finally went (Aug 2016?) and now the e-mail. Those are really the only things I've hung on for with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange and deterred me from looking elsewhere. Time for a change. Oh and Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange have been putting up the monthly fee a couple of times recently. They're obviously not interested...
On 08/02/2017 11:38, Allan wrote:

+2
I have an fslife email address which I haven't actively used for years. Nevertheless, there are about 50 organisations which still sent newsletters etc. to variants of that address and/or with which I've got a logon which uses that address.
So I have a fair bit of reconfiguring to do in the next 3 months!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 08/02/17 00:15, Graham. wrote:

get yourself a domain with e.g. 123reg and simply redirect ALL the domain to something naff like a gmail box
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

+1 if you own say <Grahamsmail.co.uk> say then mail addressed to "anything_in_here.Grahamsmail.co.uk" will come to your mailbox and if you end up with spam on one of the addresses, you can just block it at the forwarding stage.
I also use 123Reg and find it cheap and trouble free.
Bob
On 08/02/2017 00:15, Graham. wrote:

You can do this with PlusNet, but you have to enable the feature on their website first.
--
Max Demian

Sounds a bit mean if you ask me. I'm sure its not a major cost drain considering the attraction to people joining the service. Brian
--
----- -
On 08/02/2017 14:19, Brian Gaff wrote:

It is mean, but broadband provision is now a commodity, and with margins very small, every little helps I suppose...
On 10/02/17 13:18, JoeJoe wrote:

The cost of running an email server used to be trivial.Of course that was before IMAP and everyone leaving gigabytes of mail on forever, all needing to be RAIDED and backed up. -a mammoth task in itself.
These days it's the cloud or do it yourself.
I would advise everyone to do it themselves. Clouds cannot be trusted.
given a domain for about £10 or less a year, you then need a VPS out there on a fixed IP address. For mail, a couple of personal web sites it needs bugger all RAM and disc space is up to you. This one is £72 per year appx
https://www.hostinger.co.uk/vps-hosting
So that's a grand total of £82 a year for your very own domain, cloud: mail and web server and drop box and everything - a place where you can make all your data as globally accessible as you want.
And you can back it up to a home based machine every night

"Saki"

Do they back it up properly? Not much use as a backup for your home machine if you want a backup off site if they don't.
On 08/02/2017 00:15, Graham. wrote:

Thanks, you would have thought an email domain would be free advertising and have value.