Titebond Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive - Anyone used it?

- need to laminate some OSB onto the side of a few joists to couple stacked 4x2"'s (stiffening) and to bridge notches...

Polyurethane glue was mentioned last time, but I wonder if the above would be good. It's described as a "Synthetic elastomeric polymer" and is gap filling and high strength for wood.

Only I calculated I probably need about 3 litres (4 x 6mm beads lenghtwise along 25m of panel which puts each bead along one of 4 screw lines (top and bottom of each 4x2 beam) which seems logical.

The above is on special offer and a pack of 12 is reasonably cheap. 3 litres of PU however will be around 100-120 quid(!), all for 20 quids worth of OSB.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 20:27

Never mind. After a lot of hunting around, found Lawson HIS had a clearance deal on 310ml of 30 minute PU for 3 squid+VAT a tube :)

Expect the shelf life is nearly up, but that's not a problem for me!

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

Are you happy that the OSB is up to the job structurally? I've always viewed it as fine for boarding and sheathing but never thought of it for that kind of app. That said, I think I've seen it used as the web on engineered joists.

Reply to
fred

fred wibbled on Thursday 28 January 2010 19:59

Yes - we went through this in the last thread. I was going to use ply, but some suggested OSB and when I read up on it it made sense. It was pointed out that screws might hold better than ply (less pull through).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

Gotcha, missed that bit, useful to know it has more uses. Top idea to glue it as well.

Reply to
fred