Construction Adhesive Nightmare

Why in the hell would anyone use construction adhesive and nails for panel?

I'm removing old paneling in my basement and replacing with drywall. I reach an area of the base where the past owners used CA along with panel nails and it's a MFing nightmare to remove. I have to use a scraper and hammer to pry it away from the stud. I can't think of any easy way to remove it without scraping.

Anyone ever experience a similar issue?

Reply to
Meanie

Just because you're a Stud, whatever you do, DONT put construction adhesive on your dick before having sex, unless you really love your sex partner. You might be attached forever.

As for removal on the WOODEN studs. A heat gun might help. Be careful, they can start fires. Keep a bucket of water nearby.

You could have just put the sheetrock right over the paneling!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Construction adhesive is normally used when installing paneling over sheet rock. I don't know about over studs, but I expect that even if you don't need it a lot of people would just go along with the standard procedure.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

One solution might be to just put the new drywall over the paneling?

Reply to
trader_4

I'm guessing it's too late now. I'll bet that he has created an uneven surface by removing the paneling that came off easily and has already begun to hack away at the remainder.

I don't blame him, he probably had no way of knowing about the CA until he got started.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

BINGO! Too far into it to reconsider over panel. Besides, I hate a half ass job and prefer to do it the right way.

Reply to
Meanie

How are you removing the excess CA? I had to remove several very large mirrors that were glued to a wall and then had to remove the excess adhesive from the back of the mirrors. It is not the same as standard CA, I used a thick, long handled curved scraper and I heated the blade over a torch. The heated blade made the adhesive removal much easier, but it was still a pain in the ass.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

What is *NOT RIGHT* about putting it over the paneling? You wont see the paneling, and the paneling is just a tad bit more "insulation"....

Of course its too late now, unless you have other 'complete' walls to do.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Scraper and hammer.

Reply to
Meanie

Not right is putting it over paneling. I consider the right way with bare studs. Also, my basement flooded a while ago and I wanted to ensure there wasn't any mold within the current structure and insulation behind it. I'm glad I did because I found some mold on one wall.

Reply to
Meanie

I wonder if it might be easier to cut out and replace the worst of the studs? Better you than me.......

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Have you thought of using one of those vibrating saws? I don't know what the generic name is, but they are widely available. The blade vibrates at a high speed and cuts through stuff really well. Doctors use something like them for cutting casts and bones and what have you. I have one from Harbor Freight that does great. You can get scraper blades that may do the job.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Funny, I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday, then I remembered I tried to use my HF oscillating multi-tool to remove mirror adhesive and it was less than effective.

The oscillating tools are really great, except for how quickly I wear out the blades. The tool allows me to do things in minutes that previously would have taken hours.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

+1 It's every bit as good without the headache. If it were me and I had only started to pull it off and found this out, I would have replaced the panel on that section, then gone over it and the rest.
+1
Reply to
trader_4