Construction Adhesive Question

Hello,

Question regarding tghe tubes of "Construction Adhesive" you see in HD and elsewhere; variousa brands of apparently. I am not familiar with this type of adhesive, so would like to ask:

I have an approx. 1/8-3/16" gap between two pieces of plastic that I would like to bond to each other with an adhesive that will:

- fill the gap fully, and adhere very well to the two pieces of plastic

- and, harden fully. Want a hard material filling the gap; not flexible.

Will "Construction Adhesives" do the job ? If not, why not, please ?

Or, ... ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

What kind of plastic and is there actual force involved or are you just looking for a filler, in essence?

My experience in general with them (altho I've not used one for years; newer may be better) is that while they did grip initially, they adhesive properties failed with time. This was when were a fairly new material and were recommended for the subfloor to floor truss/joist bond to reduce squeaking. I concluded after a number of years it was a waste of effort/money at the time. Again, this was 30+ yr ago now; and I've not used the stuff since; perhaps others will have more recent tales...

Reply to
dpb

I would think contruction adhesive would work. But I guess it also depends on what he means by hard and if there are any other reqts. Construction adhesive is pretty hard, but I don't think it's as hard as say epoxy. When it's cured, it's a lot harder than silicone, but I think if you had say a pencil size piece and it was cured, I'd bet you could still bend it. Also, if there is any need to be able to sand it, smooth it after it's cured, IDT it's suited to that. If the gap is 3/16", I guess it's thick enough to stay in there until cured. I've never tried to use it to fill a gap, only to secure subfloor to joists and the like. I also don't know about it sticking to plastic. It's sticky, I would think it would, but not sure.

Probably the best thing to do would be to try it on some test pieces, if that's possible.

Reply to
trader_4

Not sure about all the brands, but PL by Lepage has many different formulations, Robatoy (may he RIP) made a solid surface shelf for me, which needed to be adhered to ceramic tiles, he recommended PL 9000, which has worked like a charm. For exact usage it may be best to contact a company and ask.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I dont know the type of plastic (there are many), and whether this is a large item like a plexiglass window, or something small, like a plastic toy, but JB Weld is a good adhesive for most things. However, it comes in small costly tubes, so it depends on the amount needed. Either way, the type of plastic is most important. Plastics are some of the most difficult things to glue.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Well, it would fill the gap and it does get hard and it would probably stick well but I don't know about being inflexible in that thickness. Nor do I know how much it shrinks as it dries.

Most people will probably suggest epoxy but my experience is that it isn't great on smooth, non-porous surfaces. It would work better if the inside surfaces were really roughed up so epoxy could have a mechanical bond.

Maybe wood? Thin ply bonded to both surfaces with either contact cement or construction adhesive? Or another piece of plastic bonded to the others with acetone?

Reply to
dadiOH

Also, it would be helpful to know the purpose of your project, the thicknesses of the two pieces of plastic, whether the void needs to be entirely filled and the size...3" x 3" is one thing, 3' x 3' is another.

Reply to
dadiOH