Time for a re-re-think about PSTN/POTS?

80Mbit/s is a cap that BT impose. On a short connection (the one I looked at was about 40m) some modems will indicate that speeds of up over 100Mbit/s are possible, but not allowed by BT.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Along my road I think City Link installed their fibres in the Virgin ducts. They dug 3 small holes along the pavement and installed the cable is less than a day. They took a bit longer to install a green cabinet towards the end of the road. My fibre takes the same route up a pole and to my premises that the openreach copper took.

I suspect that if Virgin have cable down your street you may already have, or will soon have, another cable from someone else with the ability to select FTTP/broadband from a multitude of ISPs.

Reply to
alan_m

Not seen CityFibre digging any closer than about 4 miles from here.

"Thanks for your interest, we haven’t planned your area at the moment"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Aren't you muddling the analogue->digital transition with the copper->fibre one?

Reply to
Max Demian

OFCOM now give you 31 days to recover your old number...

... but if you try porting first that will cease your broadband... ... or switch to Zen who will do both....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

There must be plenty of blocks where the phone lines into flats are embedded in concrete like mine. You wouldn't be able to replace them with fibre; and what would be the point?

Reply to
Max Demian

No, analogue voice on copper will cease by 2025; broadband on copper will continue until "whenever" fibre arrives where you are, but no specific date. Digital voice is/will be available from some (but not all) ISPs, though you can always use a 3rd party VoIP supplier.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If the exchange this connects to is removed, then its useless for POTs voice.

If you are talking FTTC internet, then the cabinets that deliver this need power and backup batteries. Many contain Huawei DSLAMs which BT has been told to remove.

So the point is to maintain service ALL copper will go.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

So they'll run a fibre into the building a different way ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not convinced by this argument. Those who have already moved to FTTP are keen early adopters, prepared to pay more for a faster service.

Those folk hanging onto slower FTTC lines that are quite adequate for their needs have no incentive to move to FTTP. If Open Reach are serious about ditching the copper network I would have thought that they might “sweeten the deal” to encourage folk to move.

There is no FTTP package available that won’t cost me more money at present.

Now if we had City fibre I would move, but we only have Open Reach fibre and it’s significantly more expensive for similar packages.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Reply to
alan_m

Apologies for not keeping up on this!

Our village was an early adopter of ducted connections 1994 or so. As a consequence fibre has been very slow to arrive.

The 8 properties in our 500m lane did not get ducts so our telephone/Internet is still overhead copper/aluminium. (13meg down so not a disaster).

How is this going to be resolved regarding the various deadlines?

4g?
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Theirs no problem putting fibre overhead. Happening all over the country.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I notice that new wooden poles are popping up along some streets in Worthing where all the services and cables are underground and there were no poles previously.

I assume this is how they are going to deliver FTTP to individual houses. Going to annoy to people who like their open-plan, pole-less estates

Reply to
Andrew

9MBPS ADSL isn't a ghetto. Nobody in our village had more than 5 before they rolled out fibre, and my mum gets less than 1.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

<snip>

Our feed is a small duct (<1cm) slung off the poles with a fibre down it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A single fibre to a 16-way splitter. Not a problem.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I think BT are using a big stick approach. If OpenReach FTTP is available at your location you can no longer move to another ISP and retain FTTC.

FTTC is unavailable for new supply (from any ISP).

When your current contract ends you may find the price of FTTC rises to "un-acceptible levels."

For the duration of your current contract...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Friends of mine who live is small rural location of 8 houses have BT line where the broadband over it is dire. They have BT internet with EE backup. As recommended by the BT engineer they just use the EE 4g mobile backup which gives a much better performance than the land line.

Reply to
alan_m

Eventually yes, I doubt within a decade ...

Reply to
Andy Burns