Time for a re-re-think about PSTN/POTS?

I am sure if the people clubbed together to put in ducts, it would all come in that way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

used to be, it's a bus company now

Andy Burns

I dont.

Well the vast majority of it, anyway.

FTTP is cheaper to provide than copper, and the current high prices charged are to generate the cash to install yet more.

We've had our roads dug up something rotten in the last few years and now there is a bloody great scar across the landscape where they are burying huge pipes. I assume for gas, They are blue.

Oh, blue would make it water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BT is just as private as Virgin. AIUI the underlying difference is that Ofcom decided BT Openreach has what they call "Significant Market Power" (like market domination). Plus other providers weren't much interested in using Virgin's ducts (even in places where BT have none).

Reply to
Robin

Mine is too for the last 20 feet. I am privileged, I have my own electricity substation and my own fibre pole!

everything else is underground

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or use a 4G/5G modem

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ditto for Hyperoptic here.

And I was left wondering if there's a protocol to manage Openreach and Hyperoptic wanting to work on the same pole at the same time. My cherry picker is bigger...?

Reply to
Robin

I would hope the price would come down. Their digital voice is very well priced compared to BT

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

snip

Huh! I have my own Thames Water sewage pumping station!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You mean like Virgin do with cables in green corrugated sheaths laid across the ground?

Reply to
Max Demian

Fuck that., I raise you a private sewage treatment plant. Owned by ME!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, you mean a septic tank? :-)

Reply to
SH

or, as at my daughter's last house, simply thrown over the hedge

Reply to
charles

Even it there it no analogue phone capability on your copper owned BT/Openreach line there may/will still be a line rental charge for it to carry your broadband. Digital Voice from Zen is also a 1000 minute call package.

Reply to
alan_m

I do not! They are no longer legal on new builds. I mean a full dyed in the wool discharge to a watercourse approved sewage treatment plant.

The Natural Philosopher

Oh you mean a klargester..... :-)

Reply to
SH

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you don't have a line how can they charge for it? They are selling what they call SoGEA which is more expensive than FTTC but cheaper that FTTC plus line.

In any case the discussion was about being moved to FTTP in which case there is no copper...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Who wrote 9MBPS ADSL? Not me. When this village was ADSL only I could get about 3Mbps. My neighbours were well below 1Mbps. I got quite a reputation as the guy who knew how to rearrange their bungled installations - bringing them up to 3Mbps.

I call it a comms ghetto service right across Mobile signals, ADSL or FTTC. It is all very marginal around here. Heaven knows what will happen when 3G disappears and/or if Vodafone and Three merge.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Aren't you allowed to dump raw sewage into a watercourse every time it rains?

Reply to
Fredxx