OT Smart water meter

Severn Trent came yesterday to change the existing water meter for a smart one. In the letter ST sent about the change they made a big thing about having the capability of detecting water leaks before they got too serious but said nothing about being able to read the meter remotely, which I would have thought was the key feature, especially for users whose existing meters aren't capable of being read from outside. (I assume the new meter contains a chunky battery but can it be charged by the water flowing through it?)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I imagine it’ll be similar to the smart gas meters and have a 10year life battery. Like the gas meter, it’ll only transmit every half hour to conserve the battery, maybe even less often.

They are useful for detecting consumer side leaks. I doubt I would have spotted the leaking gas valve in my boiler without my smart meter. If the water companies were smart and proactive enough they could warn customers about anomalous consumption from leaking pipes or cistern valves. With modern flapper valves it’s very easy to not spot a steady trickle down the back of the pan.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Our water meter is inside the house, and has one of these modules on it

The spec says battery life is 10-15 years. There's definitely no micro-turbine recharging it. Presumably it can signal the water company when the battery starts to get low, and they come and change it.

Reply to
Reentrant

With a water meter it's more likely to be continuously dormant until triggered by a signal from the passing remote reading device. So only likely to be actively transmitting for a few seconds every 6 months.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I think that would be classed as a “remote read meter” rather than a smart one. I think the essence of “smartness” is that they give real(ish)time data.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's how the old one was. The new one transmits every 30min, as Tim+ suggested.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

We got the same non-technical description for our water RF unit, and as far as I know, readings are only collected once a month by a water truck driving by at slow speed (20km/hr). If there is a leak detection function, it is a non-real-time report, so not of much usage if a months worth of water fills the basement.

I've seen the water truck on my road here, at least three times in the last week or so, and it could be that the battery on mine is flat. A water guy will be out this week -- the work order says "replace entire meter", which I find unnecessary when only the battery in the external unit needs to be replaced. We'll see when they get here, how carried away they get. I don't really care if they turn off the water to work on it, but if they use the external cutoff, it is crusty and hard to move.

When they originally installed the radio unit, they also replaced the mechanical meter *twice*, because after a few days with the first meter, they decided the batch of mechanical meters was bad and so the first one had to come out. The money for all of this fine work, eventually works its way out of our pockets.

My gas meter, an outside unit, is still read the old-fashioned way, which means there are no batteries to expire. The meter is regularly replaced... every fifty years. Whether it needs it or not. Before the house got gas, the house was originally heated by oil. There is still one house on the street, heated by oil (I guess the owner lived in fear of gas). So at least one utility specializes in "not bothering the customer". That's a nice feature.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

But favoured by plumbers since if anything goes wrong it's the water company's responsibility to fix.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

+1

I briefly imagined there would be an app with some sort of serial number key to our account so we could read the meter.

Then I remembered this is the UK and our water companies struggle with water, let alone anything more advanced.

You now it will be a mirror on a stick. You just know.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That makes absolutely no sense to me, why/how would they do that? Without some sort of network, there would be no way for them to receive the transmitted data, and would they even need such frequent date anyway. My best guess, is that the van parks outside, transmits a request, and the meter responds with a batch of data.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

How? Same way as smart gas meters. Why? To provide relatively “real time” consumption data.

Gas and electricities meters manage just fine. No reason the tech couldn’t work for water meters.

I think your best guess is wrong.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I agree, but cost of e and g is much higher, and therefore the need is there for the data. Water data is much less essential, and I have never heard of real time water consumption data in the UK - have you a link to confirm it is used anywhere in the UK, for domestic use?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Whilst I agree that real time data isn’t important to most consumers, it could be really helpful to water companies trying to reduce leaks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The link doesn't explain the technology in use.

Gas meters have a battery and talk to the electricity meter which is normally next to it; the electric one obviously has mains power.

Power in a water meter might be a problem.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So you don’t think batteries could work for water meters? Why would you think that?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So you were just imagining the data would be set half hourly, and agree my 'guess' was accurate then?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

my water meter is at least 2ft below ground level. Not good for rf .

Reply to
charles

That depends on what you mean by "real time". But there's plenty of meters reporting hour by hour usage using mobile phone SIMs

Doesn't seem to me unrealistic that others may be using 30 minute intervals given Ofwat have funded several other projects to get "near-real time" [their term] data on usage.

Reply to
Robin

Could they not fit an external aerial just under the cover (which is plastic on the housing Thames fit in pavements here)?

Reply to
Robin