Time for a re-re-think about PSTN/POTS?

no, but the dry ditch down the side is, apparently

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you still have copper top the street box...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect he meant Plusnet

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My mistake. You wrote 9Mbps, not 9MBPS.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I wrote neither "9MBPS ADSL" nor "9Mbps ADSL". Stop digging your own grave, Andy.

Reply to
Peter Able

Ah, I see what you mean. My mistake in confusing the two wired technologies.

Neither where we are, nor where my mother is, were regarded as being suitable for VDSL - a technology I've never used.

Yours was obviously an easier area to fit; I still don't think 9 is as bad as 5.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You can get G.Fast on some lines though (similar technology to VDSL2/35b), and that can run up to 300Mbps. The main catch is a max copper line length of about 250m

(I have one client on that who apparently has a length of ali in the phone line as well. They still see about 160/30 though)

Reply to
John Rumm

There is a road about half a mile from me whose lines are aluminium, each property being supplied from a telegraph pole.

Reply to
wasbit

Its becoming hard to get G.Fast.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I think BT realised pretty quickly after a few trial areas, that g.fast wasn't much of a step up from vdsl, maybe it also caused cross-service interference (which I think is why the don't offer profile 30a or 35b)?

There's one green cabinet nearby that has what /looks/ like a g.fast pod bolted on the side, but as far as I know it isn't one of the g.fast trial sites.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I am on a G.FAST cabinet but I can't get it because I am 500m away and it doesn't work (or at least give any advantage) at such distances. Instead I have two bonded VDSL lines giving me about 50Mbit/s each, so about 100Mbit/s total download and about 20Mbit/s total upload. John

Reply to
John Walliker