That's the electric cars sorted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9708468.stm
--
Adam

yonder.co.uk> scribeth thus

Do believe I suggested an inductive pickup system for traction and charging for main roads somewhere long ago in an argument with Drivel.
Still not a radical idea....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Note to manufacturers:-
*Please*, before it gets common, could we have a standard that works with *all* devices.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I had visions of several cables laying around in the road and competition for who's power-fuel you wanted.
Course we could have overhead cables too;))..
--
Tony Sayer

We could call'em trolley-buses :D
Oil - 850 Billion oil off Falklands. - Quite possibly a substantial amount of oil still (a long way) North West of Scotland. - The problem with oil is deep drilling, the shallow stuff is getting rather crowded. Very likely to be a considerable amount of oil as you go much further North (Arctic).
Gas - Potential for very large quantity of shale gas in UK (and plenty 2.2 quakes). - Political high gas prices are popular because they make UK exploration more viable.
I believe Cameron recently announced making it easier to build gas power stations, that tends to suggest the results for shale fracking have been good and the quantities / recovery appear to make it viable. Either that or he is Blair-II in with Gazprom and their Russian Assistants in London.
It is not about energy, it is about taxation. That said the USA recovery will fail if oil price goes north of 150$.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 03:45:41 -0700, Mathew Newton wrote:

It's not the same as the "standard" micro USB on my USB HDD, the PICkit 2 programmer or my USB multi-card reader. Those all use a "thicker" plug than the Kindle. I like standards. :-P
My Samsung Android phone uses the same plug as the Kindle, but I'm not going to experiment with the chargers.
--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

That's probably a mini USB, somewhat larger than the micro USB.

I use my samsung charger to do kindles so its fine. Its just 5V DC the same as any USB.

It sounds like you're getting your micros mixed up with your minis! ;-)

You should; it'll work.
Mathew
On 25/03/2012 11:06, tony sayer wrote:

Induction charged buses have been in use in Torino since 2003 and are also undergoing trials in Los Angeles. The Dutch are looking into a system that uses solar panels at bus stops to provide the power for charging the buses.
Colin Bignell

Theres a good joke there somewhere about "another one will be along any week now" ;?....

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Been around for ever and never been used because its simply not efficient safe or practicable at high power levels. .
Tim wrote

I doubt it. I bet we use nukes like the french do instead.
And go even further, use them to either produce hydrogen to use in our cars, or to turn whatever carbon we have into what works best in cars, either propane or petrol etc.

<ding> I motorised my mtb last year, with a 750W hub motor, running off 15Ah of Bosch toolpacks. That gives me a range of ~30miles.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ive alwys wanted a torpedo boat..
with a 750W hub motor, running off 15Ah

I am surpised it gets you out of Dratmouth..
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Funny, I didn't know they used oars in mtb's. What were they, about 50 tons? Wouldn't get far with a 0.75kW motor either.
--
Tim

Hmm. An alternative approach would be to cut a groove in the road and line either side with something conductive. Cars could then have a collector sticking out of the bottom that mated with the conductors. I seem to recall a toy based on this principle.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Jon Fairbairn wrote:

:-)
Now if the scientists would stop messing around and invent a teleport machine we would not have this problem.
And why on StarTrek did people walk to a transporter bay when they could be transported there?
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

The actors union insisted.