Harnessing ones own gas

Hehe! Seriously though, with the continuing price rises by BG and others, is it a diy possibility to produce and store gas produced from your households sewerage?
cheers
steve

This is illegal; once your sewage has entered the fall pipe it is deemed to be the property of your local water authority. They have the legal right to your waste, and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with it at all.
HTH

ok, what about growing my own rapeseed oil for use in domestic heating and for use in my car?
steve
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

Intercept it before it gets there, then! Not likely to get much output, though. If you want to harness gas, you could start with Dr. Drivel and Mary Fisher.

That's fine, but you'd need to be a Good Boy and Tell Customs And Excise So that They could Levvy The Tax (innocence: Yes, I only produced 500 litres... What! 5,000!!! Where did you get *that* idea from! :) ).

I saw aTop Gear a couple of years ago when they were talking about recycling vegetable oil from chip shops for use as a diesel substitute. You can do anything like this, but apparently you have to pay fuel duty. Still a lot cheaper than buying it though. Now how many acres of rape would you need to run a family car for a year.....?
Alistair
Ali Mac wrote:

IIRC one of the artichoke family is one of the best things to grow for production of bio diesel - you can get quite significant yields per acre.
Not sure what the taxation issues would be on using it for house heating though. You can grow stuff and burn it for heating without any liability, so it seems reasonable that you ought to be able to introduce a refining process in there ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

What about Harry Ramsden's who use beef dripping? Yum!!
Can you run a car on animal fat? When you think about it, converting grass into fuel through cows is quite an interesting idea.
Mr F.

You can, you need to process it first. google foolproof biodiesel process

You can actually buy chip shop oil for use in your car, with the road fund duty paid. Its about the same price as proper diesel, and you have to buy 1000 litre tanks.
Rick

Why would you wish to, unless it was significantly cheaper?
Bob Mannix

It's cheaper if it's reused oil - as viewers of yesterday's Working Lunch will know:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/4246534.stm
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:59:22 +0100, "Bob Mannix"

Thats why I don't use it. At 10p a litre cheeper, I would.
Rick
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:59:22 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

Most (all?) cooking oils are vegetable derived thus carbon neutral. The fact that HMG inists on taxing such energy sources at the same rate as fossil fuels really shows which side this government thinks it's bread is buttered. The government is only paying lip service to developing renewable energy.
Bio derived fuels ought be taxed at a rate significantly less than fossil derived ones. The coresponding decrease in the retail price would create a demand and thus stimulate the production of such renewable fuels.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

But they are not environment neutral, like most so called green products they can cause huge "unseen" problems. Displacement of traditional crops for biofuel production is conveniently forgotten, the excitation requirements for wind turbines is another, the toxic waste from solar cell production is another. The list goes on and on.

On the underside if you drop it, using the vast butter mountain. ;-)

Maybe they want to avoid a monoculture environment and ensure there is still food on the shelves down at Tesco when you drive there in an "environmentally friendly" car.

When they start putting a significant amount of freight back on rails.... expect fuel duty cuts on biofuels to follow within five years :-)
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58:26 +0100, Matt wrote:

I carefully didn't mention the enviroment only carbon. B-)

Everything we do produces waste some of it pretty nasty some of it more or less harmless. The land around here could be used to grow willow, all be it slowly compared to lower and warmer climes. I suspect you could still have the sheep grazing between the stumps once established.

More likely they are responding to the commercial pressure groups. It's well know that wind farms are much more effcient off shore but all the private companies want to build on shore because it's significantly cheaper. Perfectly obvious that they are not building windfarms to "save the planet" only to get get money from HMG for the benefit of the directors and shareholders.

Oink flap, the canals could be used as well.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

But you would still have the bulk of the crop for fodder. The actual seed is only a small part of the plant. And it does grow quickly I believe.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.cars.misc/browse_frm/thread/6c0a5eb81ddbafe7/25e8e2853d0890d0?hl=en &

Tim Morley wrote:

This isn't likely to apply to those of us who use septic systems!
Sheila
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:22:09 GMT, "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE

That may be the case, but some of us have "private sewage", so it remains our property / problem.
I am somewhat interested to see answers to the orignal question.
Rick

I let storage space to a local breakdown recovery firm who also attend to people who put petrol in diesel cars and vice versa. This contaminated fuel has had its duty paid and would cost 40 x 25Lt for them to dispose of. So I have recently acquired a Rolls-Royce K60 multi fuel engine which I hope to hang a Huge generator on. Free electricity/Heat for a few years. :-)
-
snip

hope
Just as long as I don't live next door. Bit noisy for the neighbours..