teating my garden fence

Hi,
I want to treat my gardemn fence, I like the colour of the new "cresote" substitutes that are available, very dark, almost black effect however this doesnt work on my fence as it has previously been treated with some bog-standard DIY shed water-based colour preservate, hazelnut brown or something, so when I put "creosote" on top of this it doesnt have its desired effect and doesnt soak in.
Does anyone have any ideas what I could treat the fence with that would give he darkness of the creosote substitute, and cover over whats already on the fence and of course protect it!?
Thanks
Thomarse wrote:

if creosote subs wont soak in, nor will water, or other petrocemical treatments.
NT