treating fence

My wooden fence looks a bit tatty so I am going to treat it with a wood preservative, not decided which one yet. However should I remove all the moss and bird shit by using a hard brush, which I will have to buy, or should I just spray it with a weak solution of bleach and wipe it with a cloth?

It is a 6 foot high fence and has previously been treated with Ronseal rough wood fence treatment.

Thanks Ron

Reply to
Rocket Ron

I'd use a wire brush

Reply to
freepo

both, plus the question you didnt ask but should.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That FAQ is dodgy.. engine oil is not a good preservative.. it never has been and never will be.

Reply to
dennis

OK but perhaps you would like to tell us why.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

To start with its not water repellent after its weathered for a week or two. Its as dangerous a creosote. It usually looks awful.

Anyway a fence doesn't need any treatment to stop it rotting.. provided its thin enough to dry out. Just put a water based colour wash on it.. they last about 10+ years.. my feather edge fence is 27 years old and has had two washes on it. No brushed on stuff will stop the posts rotting.. especially if they are set in concrete.. just repair them with godfather posts when they rot off.

Reply to
dennis

Why should it be? It's hydrophobic alright but thin enough to be displaced by water when the two are mixed. Petroleum waxes are a better bet for the posts

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Years ago I had a pile of half inch softwood, so I used it to hold some earth up, even though it was much thinner than recommended. I used oil & paraffin, the wood was in contact with damp/wet soil 24/7, and shortly before I left years later I dug stuff out from by the woodwork, and found to my surprise zero sign of deterioration where it was against the soil. If I'd used the modern waterbased crp it would have rotted away long before.

engine oil remains stable inside car engines, so its hard to see how it would fail after 2 weeks. Unless perhaps one put very little on and it all soaked away from the surface. It does need to be slathered on thick for best result.

if it were it would share the same warning labels. Its used engine oil that has attracted controversy, not new stuff.

I've done oil and B&Q preservative side by side. After 2 days its impossible to see any difference. Only on the first day it looks any diffferent. Maybe youre thinking of used engine oil, which is dark.

I've got a fair bit of rotten thin wood where it wasnt treated, some a few mm thick, some quarter inch, some 1.25", and some 2". All well ventilated on both sides.

NT

Reply to
meow2222