fence panel stain

has anyone any idea what's the staining they use on new fence panels, I put some panels up a few months back & now the weathers got to them they've all gone grey, not really keen on the stuff you buy from B&Q as it looks yuck !

Reply to
reg

I'd guess it was 'cheap' fence stain in that case!

Creosote used to be the dogs, but I think they banned it when they found that if you immersed rats in it for 20 years they died.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It depends on the type and cost of the panels. The better ones are pressure treated (Tanalised)

while the cheaper ones might just be dipped.

Personally, I prefer fading to grey, provided that the panels were pressure treated so as not to deteriorate.

However, if you want to produce a stained wood that doesn't look garish like something from a child's paintbox, it is certainly better to avoid the water-based preparations sold by the DIY stores.

Look for solvent based exterior preservatives made by Cuprinol, Sadolin, Sikkens, Jotun, etc. These are available in builders merchants or from on line places. The better ones have a wide range of colours, so you don't end up with something that looks like painting by numbers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

excellent many thanks for the info Andy, that's exactly what I don't want is a fence that looks like painting by numbers, but you've given me food for thought. thank you.

Reply to
reg

Anyone remember what happened to Sadolin PX65? I seem to have vague recollections of rumours of it being withdrawn due to excessive toxicity ("Sadolin poisons the world") and I haven't seen it for ages. It was damn good stuff WRT stopping wood rotting.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

There was also something about it leaching out and ending up in the water table(s). Actually a neigbour of ours used to use used (!) engine oil mixed with creososte. The fence ended up a horrible (my opinion only) black colour and indeed, when rained upon, dark yellow droplets fell from it and the weeds at the base um died!

Reply to
dave

Oddly enough, I have a modern book on concreting techniques, written in the USA, which advocates spraying a mix of used sump oil and paraffin on formwork to stop the concrete sticking. Hmm.

Reply to
Tim S

There's Sadolin Superdec and Sadolin Shed and Fence Protection (not to be confused with Sadolin Shed and Fence Prserver), but they are mimsy water-based stuff.

Sadolin Shed and Fence Preserver is solvent based, but comes in a limited range of colours - red, green and brown. £19 for 5 litres

Sadolin Classic is also solvent based and available in a wide range of colours. However, it is around £20 for 2.5 litres. Having said that, the coverage is good.

Cuprinol Garden Wood Preserver is solvent based, around £14 for 2.5l and reasonable range of colours, not as many as Sadolin Classic

has data sheets and reasonable prices as far as I can see.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Saturday I noticed that you can now buy "Creosote Substitute". It comes in the same plastic 'cans' as the old stuff, the cans are the same colour, the liquid comes in the same colours, and it smells the same. However it costs 2 or 3 quid more.

I've still got half a can of the genuine old stuff left ... I'm hoping my neighbours don't grass me up when I use it on my fence soon.

Hm - that reminds me -- see next entry from me!

John

Reply to
John

This reminds me: a couple of weeks ago someone asked in this group about the Cuprinol sprayers (wonderful TV ad -- big guy singing The Laughing Policeman -- sold it to me; well not really!).

The question was: has anyone tried anything else in the Cuprinol sprayer? There was no response at all.

Personally I'm prepared to give this a go with any water-based substance I can find, which is cheaper than the predictably extortionately priced Cuprinol product.

John

Reply to
John