Best Stain For Fence?

I have a cedar fence that's one year old and needs sealed, stained or something.

What's the best stuff to use?

LR

Reply to
Laughing Rock

DAGS. Ask neighbors.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

I just ask the local paint/hardware store to see their partials/returns/mistint/hazmat bin, and pick out a color range of oil based stains that you like. Pay little or nothing, you are doing them a favor getting rid of what they would have to pay to dispose of. Figure out how much you need (may have to go to more than one store), blend it all in one vat to get a single color, and apply. Apply extra to knots and board ends. I use a pump sprayer for a large area. Repeat every few years as needed.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:21:23 -0700 "Laughing Rock" posted:

I don't think cedar needs sealing. My next door neighbor's is 25 years old, and all it needed was a few pickets and two pieces of rail.

I have heard that the posts should be cut at an angle so the rain runs off. What say you all? His posts were flat on top, and about a fifth of them had some deterioration in the top. These were the ones that never get any sunlight for several months a year.

I filled them with various mixtures of cedar mulch and outdoor glues, then topped them off with glue and cedar sawdust I made when cutting the pickets and rails. At 6 months they were doing well. It's 9 months, I should check again.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Reply to
nospambob

That depends on whether or not you like the weathered look. I don't and would definitely put on something.

Reply to
Alan