Made It

After a bit of fiddling I have finally made some fencing and it looks lovely. I haven't ever made anything before and its great satisfaction :) (smug grin) Typical bloke though, 3 days to make it and a fortnight admiring the beautiful workmanship. I want to paint the fence now with some fence guard stuff. Its half logs and the finish is smooth and its also pressure treated timber. What's the best thing to use. Is creosote still around?

Want a dark brown colour Thanks Roy

Reply to
Roy Lynch

It feels good doesnt it, my problem is getting round to actualy starting something, but once started I always enjoy it and yes it is a good feeling when you finish something.

Reply to
ty

That's not just a mail characteristic. Myy problem is the reverse, it takes me a fortnight to get down to a three day job, I'll find anything to do to put off starting something. Once started I enjoy it, no matter what (including housework but not de-frosting the fridge).

Well done. What's next?

No. Well, I'm sure there's a lot in people's sheds, there's some in ours, but there shouldn't be. Our All-Wise Rulers have banned it.

Why not leave it to weather to a nice natural colour which won't draw attention to itself?

Oh - you WANT to draw attention to it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, or it was last year, only now it is environmentally friendly and does not have the smell that I loved so much. But Blackfriars wood preservative is the same colour and lasts longer. I've just coated 2 sheds with it.

Tony.

Omit cymru to email.

Reply to
Tony

Sounds a nice 'professional' job!

Real creosote is still available and allowed for professional use*, however our masters in Brussels have dictated that mere amateurs should use a 'creosote substitute' (or some other innocuous substance that won't cause any lasting harm to wood parasites or fungi - such as cold tea?)

sell online various useful preservatives, tar and bituminous products. (Some of which are only permitted for professional use*)

Of course, as you've used pre-treated timber, the preservative nature of any finishing product is not so important, so it boils down to the colour, smell, cost, ease of application, durability, compatability with any future coatings ...

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

Put a slate step in today :) My wife said in a questioning way "I wonder how hard it is to lay York Stone" GAWD she has another job in mind already. Mary I am just the same its taken me ages to get round to this but worth it in the end. Regards Roy

Reply to
Roy Lynch