Strange loss of sound

This morning there was no sound on my TV system. this is a Samsung TV connect5ed through a Bose Lifestyle System. I also have a Fire Stick, this works fine. I tunes the TV and that works as well, however though both the working bits are fine through the Bose. I can get no sound when using the Bose as the prime TV source. I am completely at a loss as to how to proceed. Any ideas please?

Reply to
Broadback

someone has pressed the mute button on the remote control?

Reply to
alan_m

Do they ever work on the toslink etc feed to an external sound system? Wish it did on mine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Samsung *and* Bose. You sure do know how to pick 'em!

Reply to
Huge

Meaning?

Reply to
Broadback

They're both shit.

Reply to
Huge

How does the bose get its sound from the TV? Dedicated audio / digital connection, or is it directed back down a HDMI using the Audio Return Channel (ARC)?

If the latter, make sure the TV has not turned off audio over HDMI ARC for some reason (they can sometimes do that if they can't see the expected connection at power up.

Reply to
John Rumm

Switch it all off, as in off off (unplugged) then power back up. Starting with the telly then the Bose and finally sources to the Bose.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On the systems I've had in the past couple of decades using optical/digital connections to an AV amp the mute from the box providing the signal has always worked. However normal volume isn't controlled by way of the source of the signal. The signal into the AV amp via the optical (toslink) has always been a fixed level so the volume is controlled by the AV amp itself. When using third party programmable remote controls the volume up/down from the individual equipment can be reprogrammed to be that for the AV amp.

Reply to
alan_m

Hardly .. Samsung are excellent TVs ... I had Panasonic for years, now we have 4 x Samsung TV's in the house.

Bose have a superb reputation for sound reproduction ..... I have no personal experience of this system, but to define Bose as C*** is simply silly.

I have Bose HiFi in my boat, excellent sound & functions, and Bose QC noise cancelling headphones - great product.

Reply to
rick

I assumed what was meant was the mute on the TV remote. Both the level controls and mutes do work on my STBs fed via HDMI - but the one on the TV would be the most convenient here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd not describe Samsung as s**t, but it's not exactly at the forefront of quality TVs. Although such things can change near daily.

Bose would love you to believe that, but they have never had any sort of reputation for producing good quality audio. Maybe small boxes that impress at first, but can be very tiring to listen to.

I have a Bose system in one car (bought used) and no matter what you do with the tone controls it's impossible to tame the boomy bass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a lot of detail about connection types, other equipment etc to know what might be going on to do selective muting. I'd blame the cat sitting on the remote on the sofa myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1

Get this sometimes between the Humax and the Samsung TV.

Reply to
newshound

Not sure if this is helpful but... I have a Yamaha amp connected to my Sams ung TV via HDMI. Your scenario (if I followed correctly)happens to me when certain devices which are connected to the amp are switched off. I ended up removing all devices except the TV and then it worked. Adding them one by one after that got me to the troublesome one.

Reply to
leenowell