Shelving

It's still around BUT possibly not the same quality as of old. I purchased some to replace that at the bottom of kitchen cabinets in my mothers house which didn't survive a washing machine hose leak. The quality of the chipboard beneath its white plastic covering was poor with a very open structure.

Surely real wood with a coat of varnish is hygienic and can cope with the vigorous cleaning? The white coating on the chipbaord is likely to start coming off where the spray polish gets behind the surface at the edges and starts attacking the glue. or expanding the wheatabix chipboard.

Reply to
alan_m

Blockboard is a rough grade of timberboard, ie sticks of wood glued side by side, with wood veneer on each side covering it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Seem to remember my father using it years ago when it was about threeply birch on the faces and you could get a good paint finish on it but still risking a void every now and then when cutting the stuff so every open edge needed lipping. Not seen it around for sale for years though.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Right. The decision went with laminated pine board. 27mm x 300/400 wide. Supplied with shrink wrapping!

The last clear varnishing job I did was around 1975 and I expect things have moved along since then. Anyone care to recommend a suitable clear, scratch resistant varnish? Ideally applicable by 4" roller?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I am using some sadolin uv resistant clear coat...so far it looks OK

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher