Twin-slot shelves - imperial vs. metric

This is kind of a cautionary tale really...

I have quite a bit of Spur-type twin-slot shelving. All the DIY and trades places sell it. I always thought it was standard, but the last lot I bought turns out to have vertical slots spaced at 32mm instead of 31.75mm/1.25in. This is enough that the shelf brackets don't line up properly if you try and use the two types of rail side by side.

The retailers don't make it very clear what dimension they're selling or that there are two incompatible flavours. It just seems pointless and unhelpful. I can't imagine what technical benefit there is in moving from exactly 31.75mm, to 32mm - is it dictated by a EU law?

Reply to
algrant109

As you say, there is 'Spur-type', and 'Spur' Shelving. I do not think it is a metric/imperial issue. I am not sure of the details but suspect it it a case of design licenses expiring or similar.

The stuff sold by the sheds is 'Spur-type' these days. These people:

sell stuff with the original dimensions, I believe. A representative of the latter company has posted a few time in this newsgroup, and been (somewhat unfairly I thought) castigated as being a spammer.

(I have bought some stuff from them but have no other connection)

HTH jon N

Reply to
jkn

A quick browse indicates that they do both 31.75 and 32.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've also noticed that even in the one manufacturer some brackets bought later seem to be made of thinner metal than the original. In the main its not a problem as the dimensions at least the important ones like where the top is relative to the spiggots is the same, but it seems the screw holes for the shelves are different. Sometimes you cannot win in this world. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff