When does 400 = 500?

Just came to use my portable 500W floodlight & bulb goes pop. Sigh. Go to look for a new bulb, but everyone now seems to sell 400W bulbs which they state are the equivalent. What gives?

And what's the state of play on the ban on halogens? Do I need to stock up on these, too?

Reply to
Huge

I also came across this recently when looking to replace a 78mm halogen. Have a look at the Product Information section here:

I can't make up my mind whether it's nonsense or not!

According to that linear R7 lamps aren't affected.

I wonder if it will ever be possible to stop all the stated (fictional) lumen outputs of G9 leds. Those I've bought are much dimmer than the halogen equivalents, as the light fittings are so small the leds will overheat if run at an output. which gives a decent light level.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

400W halogen sold as equivalent to 500W as in eg ?

You may have grounds for complaint if the fine print when you bought it didn't cover it. But why care?

TLC include on that page:

"According to EuP guidelines, from 1st September 2009 onwards, halogen double ended lamps with Energy Class D or below and having lumen output in the range of >950 lm to < 12000 lm are phased out from the EU market.

So, DE lamps with energy class C or above are only allowed to be placed on the market."

I'm not sure what precisely that means and CBA'd to go off and look. But you have time yet.

Reply to
Robin

The reduced power equivalents have an IR reflective coating to improve efficiency. If there's some odd reason to avoid them you can still find the old ones last time I looked.

For most 500w lights, much lower power is if anything better suited.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't think this is the case, because the data doesn't match what I would expect.

The IR coating has a better efficiency gain that than - 375W is same light output as 500W traditional.

The lower powered Class C halogens are advertised as replacements, but not with the same light output as the originals. I suspect they are xenon filled rather than argon or krypton - that gets around a 10% efficiency gain by being able to overrun the filament relative to a traditional halogen, and bumps them up from a D rating to a C rating. However, the other 10% reduction in power (or more in other cases) just becomes a loss in light output.

Secondly, these Class C energy saving halogens are available in formats where the IR coating technology doesn't work so well (i.e. anything other than the tubular R7 series halogens).

It's difficult to find this level of detail, as manufacturers don't publish it.

Agreed, and they're almost always mounted far too low down.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Perhaps they are more efficient? That can only be good surely? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They're not exactly expensive. Try a 400w and see if you can tell the difference. If not, you're saving money on the running costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I refer you both to the word "portable" in my original posting.

Reply to
Huge

opportunity to justify an addition to your kit?

eg

Reply to
Robin

Oh, I don't. I just wondered.

Just bought 5 pukka 500W Compton ones. That'll last me, I imagine.

Reply to
Huge

Dunno the answer but it reminded me of how I chuckled in Wicks a few years back. Halogen work light with a big flash on the box saying "uses 25% less power than a standard Halogen bulb"

Yes, it had a 375w halogen bulb instead of a 500w one.

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk