3-way LEDs... at last?

Anyone seen these?

There's been some discussion of these over on CPF, but only two reported spottings both in CA. A web search for these yields only the link above and two threads on CPF. Lowe's web site does not have them listed, my local Lowe's doesn't have them, although a CPF poster helpfully posted the following

For the 30/70/100 [A21 size]: Item# 424732, Model# LA30/100R/LE

0017801998832 600/1100/1600 lumens, 8/16/22 watts For the 50/100/150 [A23 size]: Item# 424733, Model# LA50/150R/LE 0017801998849 800/1600/2200 lumens, 10/22/32 watts

just wondering if anyone had actually managed to find these little guys in the wild and your thoughts on them. Are they really "150W equivalent?" I suspect not, shouldn't that be closer to 2800 lm for a true replacement? Tint? Color rendering?

I've gone as far as making a custom 3-lamp holder for a torchiere that holds 3 Philips L-prize bulbs and screws into a 3-way socket (lights one, two, three, none of the bulbs as you turn the key) but that is not an optimal solution for table lamps etc. and of course L-prizes are expensive and discontinued.

I miss being able to use incans without guilt :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The other day, I complained here about the lack of availability of a decent LED to replace an incandescent and was informed they do exist.

Went to the h/w store today and yep, they do exist but at $50 each I think I'll skip it.

Now we need an affordable LED

Reply to
philo

Feit A-19's are about $13 at costco. R-30's are about the same.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You didn't look hard enough. I've been using very good LG "A" type LED lamps that were ~$10ea, and recently installed a large number of $25 LED recessed can retrofits that are also performing beautifully. About 3 years ago LED lamps sucked, but not any more.

Reply to
Pete C.

I looked very hard but only at one store.

Next time I go to a big box store I'll look again or maybe even order on line. Shipping is probably what I'd pay for gas anyway.

Glad to hear they are making good ones now.

On my job, we switched from incandescent pilot lamps to LED back in 1979.

Reply to
philo

In my wife's studio she uses six, full spectrum fluorescent tubes

and three spotlights with 100 watt incandescent "Reveal" bulbs.

The full spectrum LEDs are quite expensive so I bought enough "Reveal" incandescents to last several years...and hopefully the price will come down. For the rest of the house any standard bulb will do ...so will eventually get switched over to LEDs

I have a seldom used antique chandelier in the living room of our 19th century home...and that one uses antique reproduction incandescents which I will be keeping.

Reply to
philo

Gordon Shumway

In my shop, I have eight F96T12C50's. However, the Feit A-19's work just fine as a general 60W incandescent replacement.

While 60W incandescents are in the past, there are plenty of

58W incandescents still being made and sold.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In my collection of bulbs are a number of 57 and 58 watt incandescents.

I was wondering why they made such an odd value...I assume it's because

60watt and up are being banned.
Reply to
philo

Like CFLs before them, they will be insanely expensive until large scale production ramps up. I recall the cheapest early CFLs at HD were $15, but Ikea had 'em for $4-7. Now they're a buck. Look around. I finally found my first cheapo 100W CFL at a Dollar Tree store, a couple yrs later.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have a 12watt in the goose-neck lamp over my computer and it's color temperature is very close to an incandescent. It's supposed to be a

60watt equivalent and it does put out a lot of light. I've had it for a while and purchased it at Home Depot. I think it was around $20 but the price has come down since then. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Amazon lists some but they are out of stock.

30/60/75 equivalent
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Just wait a while, CFLs were expensive when they first came out. The more (chinese) manufacturers, the cheaper they will be.

Reply to
willshak

Early CFL's more like $30 . 20 year user.

Bought two light fixtures at THD. What luck. They came with bayonet CFL's. Had to switch the dam sockets.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Don't feel guilty. Incand are safe and clean. CFL contain mercury. If you read the warmings on the boxes, you're supposed to dispose of them at a hazmat disposal sites. I'm sure 99% of those using them just toss them in the trash. CLF's also are easier to break with installing and removing them.

Reply to
Guv Bob

If you live in CA the Cree True White are supposedly good. I scored some Philips L-Prizes at the $15 subsidized price while they were still available so I'm good for a while though.

I got a response from Lowe's CS about the three ways... disavowing all knowledge of them, despite the press release and a few CPF members reporting seeing them on the shelves (all in CA however, I'm on the east coast.)

Reply to
N8N

The CREE LED 60W replacement bulbs are only $10 at Home Depot:

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I don't miss that. I still have a couple of hundred stored in the basement. At the rate I go through them, they should last my lifetime.

Reply to
krw

Coming up. Lots of new LED bulb products are being rolled out in 2014 according to the LED newsletters.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

There are "Reveal" CFL and LED bulbs now -- also more expensive. Those bulbs reduce the amount of yellow light so other colors appear brighter, especially reds. Complexion tones improve too, so they make people look healthy even if they aren't. I call it theatrical lighting for the home.

Tomsic

Reply to
=