Anyone used these?

based courses for plastering, plumbing, brickwork, from a company called Logicworks Publications. I'm interested if anyone has got these, and whether they are useful/rubbish/expensive/not as good as books and/or practice! The whole set is over £150, but if it is very good it could be worth it...

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
PM

led

The whole set is over =A3150, but if it is very good it could be worth it...

No, but the "we have managed to acquire a number of copies at the significantly reduced price of just =A347" makes me uneasy. I'm sure it's fine, and I would be interested to see it. But practice is ultimately the thing. Oh, you said 150 quid. They seem to have it for 47 quid now. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Why buy CD's if you search the net each and every DIY skill will be found free. There's no substitute for hands on experiance, pointless buying CD's in excess of £150 and finding out your crap at one or two particular jobs.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

And given that they dont declare the number of copies, they are free to sell them ad nauseum. Wonder if it was a spam?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

The 'significantly reduced' price of £47 is for one product (e.g. plastering), the > £150 is the 'reduced price' for the set of plastering, bricklaying and plumbing DVDs. The web page was a bit pushy in that respect, a bit double-glazing salesman "if you buy it today I can give you a further discount".

My question was genuine and not spam, I have some skimming that needs doing and next year some plumbing, if there's a technique that can be learned from watching a professional then the DVD might be better than reading snippets off the web or from books and giving it a go.

IMO £47 (or £150) and a decent DIY job is better than a DIY bodge and perhaps having to call in a professional :-)

Reply to
PM

From the POV of watching a professional's technique I think a good video DVD would be better than reading stuff off the web. I would combine the two approaches.

Reply to
PM

I don't think you can learn to plaster by watching a DVD - not well enough to be able to go ahead and produce a good quality finish on your first plastering job.

Reply to
Grunff

But they're not pro's showing you how to do it, they are trainee's showing you.

"Filmed on location at an Intensive Training Centre - you will see real trainees practicing these techniques. Not only will you see everything they see, but you will benefit from seeing your fellow students make mistakes and overcome problems."

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I don't know about the video but it is an excellent form of teaching - if done well and the mistakes are clearly identified as they happen. Simply watching a professional at work will rarely teach you anything as you will simply be incapable of following the sills.

Reply to
John Cartmell

In message , PM writes

Sorry - it just looked a bit like it. I can see your point, but am sure that you would be better having some practical training. There's nothing like practising on a college wall and ceiling, and also finding out that it is not as easy as they make it look in the video.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

You could always join their affiliate program and get 35% refunded!

Reply to
Dave Jones

Dunno about that. I've found it very useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I did that then maybe my next post *would* be spam :-)

Reply to
PM

Agreed, but learning by reading, practicing *and* watching a DVD might be better than just reading and practicing.

Reply to
PM

Things like plaster mixing and consistency, angle of the float, plastering corners etc could come across quite well on a video.

Reply to
PM