1000w replacement halogen floodlight bulb problem

Hi everyone,

Over the past week i have replaced my back garden haolgen floodlight bulb (1000w) twice. The last 2 bulbs have worked for about 1 hour (bulb on time) of intermittent use. When i remove the bulbs they are black and completely blown.

The bulbs that i have used that have blown have been exactly the same make and model from the same wholesaler.

The bulb that was in the light previously worked for about 2 years. The floodlight is no different so i can only presume that the replacement bulbs are the problem.

Before i go and try some different bulbs, i wondered if there was anything else that could be the problem?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
renton72

1K is quite a lamp for a garden floodlight...

Sounds like a leak at the pinch , look for cracks at the ends.

Could be a bad batch, 1Kw Kseries lamps gotta be getting rarer nowadays.

Not getting lamp in correctly fiirst time, cracking the seal whilst fitting, corrosion and /or arcing on the lamp holder points.. all worth looking at.

Olde worlde way of lighting your space , hardware costs have fallen a lot in last few years.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Just an outside possibility. The blown bulbs aren't incorrectly packaged

110 Volt ones, are they? Although I'd expect them to blow at switch-on if they were.
Reply to
John Williamson

Might be stating the obvious, but any fingerprints on the glass will cause premature failure.

When fitting, use cotton gloves and afterwards clean the glass with isopropanol.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

That's a huge size lamp! Might work out cheaper long term to change the light to an LED version.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Last year I had the self same thing with my 1000W floodlight and some cheapish bulbs I bought from TLC. I decided that the bulbs were of inferior quality and bought a much more expensive Philips bulb. That has now lasted for over a year.

Reply to
Howard Neil

a Loose connection/faulty lampholder.

b You must not handle the tube with your fingers when installing. Usually something is provided for you to hold it with.

Reply to
harry

Are there LEDs yet with anywhere near that light output?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do people have gardens large enough to need that sort of output? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

some theatrical luminaires are at that sort of brightness, but the cost is well in excess of £1k - and I doubt if they are waterproof for outside use.

Reply to
charles

It couldn't, by any chance, be one of your neighbours shooting them out? Try an 80w: fine for vision at night, and also fine for the deterrent effect.

J.

Reply to
Another John

it will be difficult to find an 80w in the same physical size.

Reply to
charles

Hell of a power! Is it lighting the sky? Poorly aimed lights are not very effective and could lead some people to increase the power. Aiming them horizontally means that half the light is not hitting the ground - it is going up into the sky. (General point - not intended to offend the OP)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I'm struggling to understand why the OP would want a 1kW lamp to light his garden. That much light is very counter productive from the security aspect as anything outside the pool of light will just be black and any night vision will be totaly messed up. Also seems well over the top for simple using the garden at night, you can see well enough to move around safely starlight alone. A few lower wattage lamps at strategic places would be much better IMHO.

As for the failures I'd place handling the bulbs directly with the fingers followed by duff batch/cheapo lamps then the neighbours shooting them out. I get annoyed by the glare from some high pressure sodium lights from a farm 3/4 of a mile away, they give enough light here to read by!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi everyone,

Over the past week i have replaced my back garden haolgen floodlight bulb (1000w) twice. The last 2 bulbs have worked for about 1 hour (bulb on time) of intermittent use. When i remove the bulbs they are black and completely blown.

The bulbs that i have used that have blown have been exactly the same make and model from the same wholesaler.

The bulb that was in the light previously worked for about 2 years. The floodlight is no different so i can only presume that the replacement bulbs are the problem.

Before i go and try some different bulbs, i wondered if there was anything else that could be the problem?

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy OTT for just a garden security lamp.

I have a bog standard, 300w, halogen on a movement sensor, same bulb for last 6 years ! Runs for 3 minutes each time (ish)

Lights where needed up to around 30ft from wall, enough to use back gate, even when I drop my keys when pissed as a fart, more than enough for the dog to go pee, and doesn't annoy neighbours. Also less to run by over a third than yours pro-rata.

Co-incidentally I am also using an LED 200w (Equivalent) in another area, the light output is fine, the usage the same, the cost under a tenth of the halogen. The whole caboodle was £20 off Fleabay.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Don't these lamps have a protective glass window in front of the bulb? If someone was vandalising the lamp, wouldn't the glass screen be damaged too? OTOH, if there is no glass screen then something as ordinary as a shower of rain could be the cause. No?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

OXLUX 10W SMD LED Floodlight Cool White in SILVER- Ideal Replacement for Halogen by OXLUX

4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (21 customer reviews Price: £8.33
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

and it you use the (generous) 10/1 conversion factor between LED and halogen you get the equivalent of a 100w halogen - the OP has a 1000w halogen.

Reply to
charles

so that will be ten of those, then.

Reply to