In 2012, will I be able to order round light bulbs from Canada or some other foreign country or will they be illegally manufactruing round light bulbs and selling them on the internet?

In 2012, will I be able to order round light bulbs from Canada or some other foreign country or will they be illegally manufactruing round light bulbs and selling them on the internet?

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Being banned in Canada too, it seems that regular bulbs waste energy producing heat, and we wouldn't want to add any extra heat to our houses during the 6 to 8 month winter that we have.

Reply to
EXT

On 1/26/2011 3:13 PM Chris Tsao spake thus:

not entirely "banned". Lots of exceptions.

[cue response from Don Klipstein here]
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You'll probably only be able to buy repair kits. You'll have to save the dead bulbs, open them up and replace the filaments. Bulbs will not be allowed to be sold, but repair kits will be legal. Selling them on the internet will likely be banned and sellers will get prison time. It's just like when they jacked up the taxes for cigarettes in most (or all) states, people were selling them on the internet. Then the govt. began arresting the sellers adn making the buyers pay all state taxes for the amounts of cigs they bought. You can legally buy and sell cig rollers, papers, filters, and other smoking devices online, just not tobacco.

Remember, America is a FREE Country, as long as you PAY FOR YOUR FREEDOM.

Reply to
jw

Thanks. Maybe I'll take the trouble to do this. I heard on the radio last night that some of these light bulbs can dim. I got a new lamp last week that takes 150 watt light bulbs and the lamp dims, so with my luck theywon't male 150 watt light bulbs that dim. I Know I can stock up on them like a survivalist.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

What about those small light bulbs that are a 1/4 of the size of regular light bulbs that are used for chandeliers, are they going to be banned too? I have a chandelier that takes four of them and you the sit lamp shades on top of the light bulbs and if they make squiggly ones this size, the lamp shades might not fit correctly. The light bulbs are in the shape of a fire flame.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

bud--

Thank you.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

You will be able to buy them on the internet HOWEVER homeland security will grab and take you to a black prison for torture because you will be blatantly breaking the law....:)

Reply to
hallerb

Those will still be legal, as will those for fixtures where the bulb is exposed as part of the aesthetic look, requiring the bulb to be clear instead of soft white or something similar.

Look for parts of the law to be repealed once the general public discovers that compact fluorescent light bulbs aren't technologically ready (mainly in that they don't last as long as advertised and don't last long at all if they are often turned on for 15 minutes or less).

Reply to
nielloeb

AIUI, not if the bulb is a Edison medium-base regular clear light bulb, as all mine are.

Which almost all of ours are (turned on for 15 minutes or less). Only the kitchen lights run longer.

Reply to
krw

It's all BS. If you go an research the subject a bit, like at a .gov site, you'll find residential light bulbs aren't part of the banning.

Reply to
Twayne

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: :> What about those small light bulbs that are a 1/4 of the size of :> regular light bulbs that are used for chandeliers

: Those will still be legal, as will those for fixtures where the bulb : is exposed as part of the aesthetic look, requiring the bulb to be : clear instead of soft white or something similar.

: Look for parts of the law to be repealed once the general public : discovers that compact fluorescent light bulbs aren't technologically : ready

Let's hope. I hate CFLs, after giving them a good solid try for a couple of years. Can't stand them. (and for CFL likers, good for you, but I really have tried near every brand and claimed color range on the market).

They're a transition technology, so I think they'll never be ready. I'm hoping affordable LED replacements for incandescents will become available before the incandesents disappear.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Those are not affected by the 2012-2014 USA ban.

The are exemptions on basis of base type/size and bulb shape/size. Everything with base other than E26/E27 "medium screw" "right hand thread" is exempt, including "candelabra base". Also exempt are flame-shape bulbs and some sizes of globular bulbs.

Clearness of bulb is not exempt - look for exemption on basis of base shape/size and bulb shape/size.

Ask me, snipped-for-privacy@misty.com, for the best CFLs that I know for your specific applications and your specific color preferences. Please state your color complaints and other complaints of the CFLs that you tried.

It appears to me that there's going to be a bit of a gap.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

"Andrew Barss" wrote

How long since you've tried? Five years ago I'd agree with you, but I use them today. Very much improved. LED light is still too blue for comfort but I imagine it will be better too. I think that is the future.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The cfl's are not compatible with my remotes for X10. If the alarm goes off, no auto lighting.

Reply to
Thomas

They are compatible with all non dimming X-10 modules, such as Appliance Modules, canopy modules, remote receiver modules, and special fluorescent capable switches. I have lots of CFs that are controlled by X-10 remotes.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

No, they're not. You might be getting along, but ... see below.

:: such as Appliance Modules, canopy modules, remote receiver :: modules, and special fluorescent capable switches. I have :: lots of CFs that are controlled by X-10 remotes. -- :: Peace, :: BobJ

But you're using CFL compatible (flourescent) X-10 components. If not, you'll see early burnouts of either the CFL and/or the X-10 device. Questions like this deserve full answers IMO. X-10 makes that information very clear if you read their instructions on the various products or their wiki.

Reply to
Twayne

What makes them compatible? Mine are 25 years old and work with CFL. The CFL was not invented when mine were built.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski