SDS drill for general DIY?

That's better than PPPoo (apparently :-) which is £89 but only cuts 7 to 8" and won't cut a 6" by 3" in one go. I'll look around for it.

Reply to
G&M

Well each of us have to reach our own conclusions. One of the few 'true professional' level tools I insist on having, even above a drill driver.

Reply to
G&M

Law of averages - he changes his mind on things so much eventually you're bound to.

Reply to
G&M

Used mine to cut a load of 9"x3" joists last summer. That was just lovely.

Reply to
Grunff

I want one. I'll look round my local tool stores this week but please let me know if you ever see one in a nationwide chain.

Reply to
G&M

I will, I can't say I've been keeping my eyes peeled. It came from:

Holsworthy Tools

22, The Square Holsworthy Devon EX22 6AN Tel: 01409 253200

But this was nearly 2 years ago.

Reply to
Grunff

NuTools seem to pop up in odd places. The router came from Buxton but they don't have much else.

Reply to
G&M

Yes it is a nice saw and after a short while the pleasure of using it makes the cost aspect fade :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I hate you :-)

(Not really)

Reply to
G&M

It wasn't reviewed. The only other unbranded product tested was the Draper expert.

THe Bosch, Hilti, Makita, Metabo and Milwaukee all received equal marks on both value for money and performance.

The Panasonic won on performance and the DeWalt on performance and a third speed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is one that is worth saving up for. I had an opportunity to try out about six different sliding mitre saws at a large tool store in the U.S., and then a couple more here.

The Makita LS1013 and DeWalt DW708 are comparable on price. I also looked at an Elektra-Beckum which is very much quieter, having an induction motor.

The firmness and smoothness of the Makita slide mechanism and positive and repeatable adjustment made the difference for me. I saw display models of most of the saws in a Home Depot store, where clearly they had been there for a while and abused. The DeWalt had become a bit rough on the slide and pull down mechanisms while the Makita had remained fine.

The only issue I have with the Makita (although it is inevitable) is the weight. It has a heavy cast base of some size and casting for the support arm. This does make for very precise operation though. Fortunately there is a handle for carrying and the saw ends up well balanced about that if the mechanism is locked in the centre.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

theres nothing here hard enough to need it, so I dont need one. If I had a granite cottage it would be another matter :) And Im not doing enough chiselling to make it worth it either.

Thanks for all!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Along with your wallet.

Reply to
IMM

Draper is a brand, it is called Draper.

Reply to
IMM

The vast majority of draper stuff is Draper badged generic stuff. Like PPPoo.

Reply to
Grunff

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:28:38 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

No it's not, it's unbranded stuff with a Draper badge stuck on it, like those cheap chinese imports with Makita badges on them.

Reply to
Lurch

Not really.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Draper is a private label slapped on anything that the distribution organisation that sells it cares to deliver.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just watch out for next months advice from Eliza. They're loading the new program now!

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

There are other sources of information besides toolstation and screwfix! Spend a bit of time on the manufacturers' web sites instead of ranting here:-)

MBQ

PS the cheap Bosch SDS from Argos does have rotostop that really works.

Reply to
MBQ