CPC SDS drill

Is this likely to be any good:

33 quid.

Another website says it's 3.6kg, so not quite the usual cheapo SDS lump.

I don't have an urgent need for an SDS as such, but my current mains drill decided to emit smoke from its windings so it's probably on borrowed time. It's only for occasional use where an SDS night come in handy.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I have a Wickes 2kg drill which is at least 10 years old. It works well as a drill but not as a breaker. the format is the same as the one you are looking at anit can just be used single handed up a ladder.

there are 4+kg drills available at low

Reply to
Malcolm Race

In message , Theo Markettos writes

It doesn't look like a 3.6kg SDS drill, as they usually seem have the bulkier body. It looks more alike a standard 2kg jobbie. (which would be good IMO, for general SDS drilling, chasing, chopping out the odd brick etc. a lighter drill is better I think.)

What isn't mentioned is whether it has a rotation lock - useful for chiseling.

But for that price it looks good I guess

Reply to
Chris French

I wonder if SDS drills have finally become mainstream with Joe Public? The re seem to be other cheaper ones around now rather than the standard Nu-Too l etc bricks.

Lidl had one last week for £29.99

And Ikea do a cordless li-ion one for £40:

Out of interest, where did you find the CPC link? If you search for it dir ectly on their site, it comes up as £41:

And it seems they were selling them at £21 last year:

630440
Reply to
mike

That would be good. Sometimes even basic masonry drilling can be beyond my normal mains drill.

That's not an SDS, unless I'm missing something? I would have thought the power draw of a mains SDS would be beyond that of a cheap battery - getting

500W out of a little Li ion would be tricky I suspect. (I have a barrel-scraping 15 quid NiCd 'cordless drill' that's utterly hopeless at drilling, but is OK for power screwdriving if the battery is charged)

I was poking around 'bargains corner' and spotted it there. The usual trick with CPC is to find out the two suffix numbers for the current bargains or brochure offers, and add them to the product code and see if that code exists - so TL14713 becomes TL1471361. They seem to vary with each brochure issue, but maybe '61' is the constant for Bargains Corner.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

mike was thinking very hard :

I bought one of those about five years ago and its been quite good. Variable speed, power indicator, rotation lock, rotation without hammer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I looked at one of those in the store, and I can't believe it will do much. I should add that I have never used one in practice, though.

Reply to
GB

It is also a hammer drill, not SDS.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, it is SDS.

Reply to
GB

So it is (page 4):

How well would it perform? The price makes me assume chocolate teapot performance, but how does the spec look?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Spec?

I just picked up the box, and it's not very heavy. It may drill a modest hole marginally better in masonry than their £30 jobbie, but I expect that's the extent of it. I'd far rather have the CPC one for any serious work, even though it's corded.

Reply to
GB

Is that actually an SDS unit (I have not looked at it up close) or just a percussion hammer drill with an SDS chuck - the instruction leaflet that you linked to talks a lot about drilling with and without impact, but there is no mention of impact without drilling and no chisel bits included in the set. (as far as I can see)

Reply to
CB

It's been mentioned before on here - has anyone actually got one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We had this debate a while ago:

$20sds/uk.d-i- y/eYzYN-B-JIQ

Reply to
mike

My apologies, you are correct.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

This is Usenet. Judging from past experience, you are not supposed to act all gentlemanly and apologise. The normal Usenet approach is either to stick to your mistaken belief through thick and thin, swatting aside all evidence to the contrary, or simply ignore my correction and pretend it has not happened. :)

Reply to
GB

I think I've got the closest to getting one of anyone here. There was a pile of them next to a queue I was in at Ikea. I picked one up, hefted it, and put it down again. :)

Reply to
GB

I promise to try to remember that :-?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , Theo Markettos writes

My general impression of their Duratool range is that they are at the bottom end of acceptable and designed down to a (low) price. Don't expect spectacular performance or long life. This is based on various hand tools, drill bits and a couple of their rechargeable nicad powered drill/drivers.

Personally, I'd wait for one of the Lidl/Aldi offerings.

Reply to
fred

+1. I've got quite a few Lidl and Aldi power tools and they're in a different league from the budget offerings elsewhere. I'd put them sort of level with Bosch in design and quality.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)