Cheaper SDS - any good?

While I'd like to get a De Walt SDS, I can't really justify the cost just now so was thinking whether any of the lower priced SDS's were worth getting (how long is a piece...). I'm not a heavy user of SDS - just the usual brackets on the wall stuff - but I would like to fix some clamps to concrete fence posts we have. They are *very* hard concrete with pebbles/stones of some kind in there. My ordianary hammer drill complains and isn't really up to it.

I see that Argos and Screwfix have SDS drills for about £40. Anyone have one of these - how would you rate them.

From the specs there seems to be much in common - but I suppose the build quality is not the same as DeW. Also the DeW has 2Joules of wackyness but about half that for the cheaper ones.

On some details, (as I never used an SDS), I know I need SDS bits, but would I also need chuck adaptors (or something) to use, say, a chisel bit?

Any SDS do's and don't and recommendations appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Interesting, my Toshiba "ordinary hammer drill" drilled some concrete fence posts easily. Perhaps the bits are blunt? Maybe the concrete was different.

I got one from Aldi, for £25, with a set of bits included, a conventional chuck, some grease, and spare brushes, in a case! It's done very well indeed, and shows no sign of giving up, even after some hard use.

My Aldi £25 "special" has 4.2J of "whackiness" and easily sees off my pBIL's DW, which is rated at 2J impact energy.

You don't need adaptors. The "conventional" chuck has an SDS "end" on it, so just plugs in like a drill bit, although I can't see why this chuck is useful.

Get one which you can stop the rotation on (like my Aldi one), and a hammer off/on (ditto). It's useful to have a safety clutch if you're not used to drilling, or will be using them in awkward or potentially dangerous places.

Cheap drills are, by and large, fine.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes, I've got a cheapy and it's great. Has been fairly heavily used for

2/3 week stretches (including digging 6cm deep channels in a concrete floor) and then sat in a cupboard for months on end. It still works fine before another burst of activity. Made by Ferm and cost £40 from Screwfix, but it doesn't seem to be available any longer.

The only real downside is that it is fairly heavy and unwieldy compared to the more expensive models, but that's not a huge problem unless you're using it day in and day out, I think.

No, but you need a drill with "rotary stop" (i.e. hammer only) as well as the more usual "hammer stop" to use a chisel bit. Some of the cheaper models don't have rotary stop, but many do. You don't need a chuck adaptor at all unless you want to use non-SDS bits in your SDS drill.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Ah interesting. I kind of assumed A DeW as costs so much more must be the wackiest. Wrong! :-) Thanks for the info. I'll go and see what Aldi has today. (Bet they "just sold the last one 5 minutes ago" :) )

Reply to
Dave

I don't think they have one at the moment, but ISTR it's a while since they did, so you never know what'll turn up in a week or two... they have expanding foam at a reasonable price, though, FWIW.

for current offers. You can subscribe and have e-mailed a "newsletter" which details forthcoming "specials".

From Thursday: Trestles (these might be plastic, in which case no thanks), combination spanners ("for plumbing - shorely shome mishtake?"), foam, handbasin, taps, W.C., gardening stuff possibly.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What you pay for on the classier models are usually greatly reduced weight making for less fatigue for the user, better speed controllers etc.

Have a lok at the "What to look for" section here:

Thanks for the info. I'll go and see what Aldi has today. (Bet they "just sold

Toolstation do a cheapie that looks like it may not weigh a ton. No other experiance of it other than seeing its picture though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a Challenge Extreeme from Argos and I'm pleased with it for what it cost.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many of the cheap ones are identical apart from the badge and the "extras" in the box. When I was looking the best deal at this end of the market seemed to be Homebase as they included a good selection of bits as well as a chuck adaptor so you can use non-SDS bits too. I've been very pleased with mine. I've not been kind to it at all, including knocking two openings in substantial walls but it still works well, at least within the limits of a cheap tool).

Reply to
Calvin

Main difference is it weighs little more than an ordinary hammer drill which matters if you're chasing into walls etc for long periods. A heavy SDS makes this harder work than a hammer and chisel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)