Advice on sprayers please

Due to a damp problem my son has had his lounge, dining room and hall gutted. The plaster has been removed and the floors also, the floors are now solid concrete. As the plaster is new he thinks that to emulsion it with several thin coats using a sprayer would be the way forward, especially as there in no skirting or architrave up. So 2 questions, what would be the best emulsion to use, also sprayer choice? He does not wish to spend a large sum of money, but conversely wants one of sufficient quality to do the job, the hire charges are very high. He thinks he could sell it on after completing the job. All advice will be gratefully received.

Reply to
Broadback

One of the more powerful Earlex HVLP kits would probably be a good bet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Really, unless something factory sized, spraying isn't worth it. Quicker to use a roller. The sort of airless sprayers (with separate tank) you use for spraying large areas of walls etc are pretty expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ditto. I've never used a sprayer, but I'd have thought a roller would be less mess, fuss and expense! You can get very fast with practice.

2p J.
Reply to
Another John

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

The problem with a roller is it applies emulsion rather thickly, which is probably not a good idea on new emulsion.

Reply to
Broadback

White emulsion, thinned a little (10-20% water).

Don't bother with the sprayer - big brush or roller :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

If there is a damp problem, it needs resolving first. Just replastering won't fix it. I could be roof/gutter leak, rising/penetrating damp or condensation. You need to find out which by observation, more difficult if you have removed the plaster.

Emulsion is best applied by brush. You pays you money and takes your choice. Often the cheap ones need several coats, negating any money saved. Spraying neccesitates masking anyway, little time is saved.

You will need to let the walls dry out completely or the paint won't take. (Can be accelarated with some heating or a dehumidifier. Hire or buy).

Reply to
harryagain

So thin the emulsion down. With a roller, that'll give a fighting chance of the operator wearing more than the wall, so use a big brush. If it's thin enough, it's going to just soak in anyway, so no worries about the finish.

Reply to
Adrian

Apollo semi-pro unit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

When I emulsioned new plaster, the advice from the plasterer and the damp-proofing company was to use a non-vinyl emulsion. Two choices: white or magnolia; as 23' of white would have been rather numbing I used magnloia. I put a sign on the door along the lines of: "This is Magnolium, the most boring country on Earth and you are welcome to it". The GF's mother was actually amused!

Reply to
PeterC

12" Deep pile lambswool pole roller and a contract emulsion .... I used Leyland contract matt. Macphersons is also so good.

Thin first coat 30-50% then un-diluted 2 coats on top

Reply to
rick

Agreed, especially for the primer coats; personally I use a paint pad for "normal" redecoration with primer. As quick as a roller, and less messy.

Reply to
newshound

True - the rollers can spatter rather with thinned emulsion. I found one with a 2/3rds guard (anti spatter roller) and it is good for this type of work.

Reply to
Tim Watts