Scammers?

Excellent! Bill

Reply to
wrights...

The last number they called! If you had a call from the spammer the next number the scammer called would have your telephone number spoofed as the calling number.

Reply to
alan_m

Right, got it this time. I'd replaced my hosts file with one that pointed all the advertising sites etc to localhost. Anyway I restored the OS-supplied one and was able to listen.

You've got a very convincing doddering-old-fossil there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think they just make up a random number which is similar to yours. ie if your number is 01234 567890 they'll set their CLID to 01234 567xxx for random xxx. I've seen this kind of setup on scambaiter videos when they show the dialplan for the scammer autodialler.

This is obvious on mobiles where they appear as a number which is similar to yours but, given the much larger range of mobile number space, the chances of anybody calling you having a mobile number with the same prefix is very slim (ie if your number is 07123 456789, seeing a call from 07123 456375 is instantly fishy)

Since the numbers may be randomly generated, setting the CLID to their previous victim doesn't make much sense.

Theo

Reply to
Theo