Expensive DIY?

Due to exorbitant energy prices - are we being conned?? Does anyone think this might work?

It is abundantly clear that the British Coalition Government have given the =91green light=92 to the rapacious and avaricious power companies and utilities (in fact to all the providers of commodities and services essential to human existence) to =91rip-off=92 the =91bio- mass=92 (for I am convinced this is the way we hapless British =91consumers=92 are viewed by the present government) to their heart=92s content and without constraint. The way the power companies have continued to escalate their prices is clear evidence that this is so. It is also evident that the so called regulator =91Ofgem=92 is =91in-bed=92 with the power utilities and certainly no friend of the consumer!

The latest announcement by Scottish Power of such a mammoth price hike deserves special attention. There is a way to fight back. Consider: There are five principal power companies, Scottish Power, EDF, British Gas, e-On and N Power who are clearly fixing prices by a cabalistic process of tacit price collusion (the so called =91Big -Five=92). Let us take Scottish Power as an example for our fight-back strategy.

We need to encourage every present customer to switch from Scottish Power to (say) N Power =96 and further to encourage every present customer to =91dump=92 their current supplier and also switch to N Power. If just 70% of customers did this the remaining five power companies would be quickly bankrupted and put out of business. Finally, towards the end of the process if at least 50% of the (new) N Power customers would purchase a minimum quantity of shares in that company to enable them (the customers) to vote at the company AGM or indeed force an extraordinary general meeting of shareholders with the sole objective to dispose of the present board of directors and chairman etc. and bring that company to its knees.

An elegant solution I think you would agree? The central difficulty would be to break through the passive and compliant mindset of the British public to persuade them that this strategy is greatly in their interest and is very worth pursuing! A further difficulty is how one may promote, disseminate and generally spread the message? I wonder if it might =91fly=92

Reply to
Ardamerr

Drop the anti Coalition government clap trap and you might stand a very small chance.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

And with all the Big-5 now bust where do people buy their energy from? Of course the companies wouldn't go bust as such they would just be bought by others of the Big-5 or forgieners (if any are still UK owned in the first place...).

People need energy, sensible people buy on price, just a bit of trixy marketing and "competative pricing" and the companies will have customers. Hum, is "competative pricing" what we have already... As to Scottish Power I wonder what their balance sheet looks like? About

7 years ago they were the best supplier for us (on price), but over the last 18 months have become one of the worst. I jumped ship a few months ago, to N-Power, saving 2.876p/unit *before* the SP 10% price rise.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nope, not a chance...

Can't say that I agree with your assumptions there...

Might happen - in small numbers - depends on how quickly the other suppliers follow.

Big and totally unrealistic "if". Renders the rest of the argument moot.

Rendering a huge financial blow to large swaths of the nations pension funds (that hold copious shares in energy companies) - ultimately doing yourself more harm than good. Also where were you proposing to buy your energy from after the destruction of the suppliers?

And this would be good for who exactly?

Load of marxist clap trap more like...

After the pigs.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Ardamerr writes

Same off topic shit you've posted here before, how about you go f*ck yourself and join uk.politics.misc

Reply to
fred

And what would N Power do with their prices then?

(Hint: they wouldn't cut them)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You mean, WE pay you because the UK government has this ridiculous idea that electricity has to be generated by wind power - it is the rest of us who are subsidising your cheap living lifestyle. We are all subsiding b******s like you who clearly have so much disposable income that they can afford to invest in a government sponsored get- quick-rich scheme. The sooner central government comes to its senses and realises this is a pig's ear way of doing things the better.

Reply to
robgraham

Batteries have been around for some time.

And on calm sunny days you would prefer to be dependent upon a broken grid system dependent upon wind power?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

OK. Shall I use nasty poisonous lead and sulphuric acid, or scarce rare elements?

You're preaching to the choir there.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ