A nuisance caller actully got through - Energy Direct Trust

I take it 016117130272 is your typo.

Reply to
Graham.

She got through my call blocker by giving a name, the first time ever one has had the gumption to get through.

Energy Direct Trust/ Energy Direct. 016117130272 and 01618205970 They see to be genuine numbers rather than spoofed.

Call began with them asserting they were not a nuisance caller and asking me if I was Mr ????, ???? being the surname of my partner who passed away 4+ years ago, so I neither confirmed nor denied.

Then tried to pump me for information about my home and my circumstances, to check if I might be eligible, before she would tell me what the scheme was, which I refused, rather I asked her what the scheme actually was. She said it was a government backed scheme and could save me 30% on my gas bill, by attaching a device to my boiler. At that I replied 'absolutely impossible' and she slammed the phone down.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Fortunately we don't seem to get any nuisance calls - it probably helps that we've been ex-directory for umpteen years.

I wonder though if it would help, that, after a couple of minutes of chat, you got someone to say in the background (but loud enough to be heard by the caller )"The location trace is nearly complete".

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Graham. has brought this to us :

Yes, should be 01617130272

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jeff Layman formulated on Thursday :

As am I and on the TPS, but once your number is out in the wild, you go on a list - probably a result of the Talktalk leak of a few years ago. After which we were flooded with such callers. Obviously, by the name they asked for, the list they were working with was at least 4+ years out of date.

Well, it would probably get them to drop the call, but I am very capable of getting them to drop the call anyway lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Energy saving trust seem to be pushing PFGHR units.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or (mobile) an app which prepends a conversation with "This call is being recorded" ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Andy Burns used his keyboard to write :

The call didn't get that far - Passive Flue Gas Heat Recovery. Is the government backing such a scheme for domestic properties?

I cannot see there being much heat available to be recovered, maybe 10% at best and that would take some doing - so how can that possibly save me 30% of my gas bill as they suggested?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Both added to blacklist - thanks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They will now get just 'Blacklisted.'

Reply to
Bob Eager

Does sound unlikely, perhaps for poorly setup combis that aren't operating in condensing temperature range, but obviously in that case savings could be achieved without a gadget.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, I think he should have wasted more of her time.

Reply to
newshound

Best case scenario when looking only at hot water supply with a combi. No savings to be made on CH.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I do sometimes feel sorry for the people on the other end in cases like this as they are often hired to do a job and unfortunately we have become much ruder to them now. One I cannot quite figure out is that every few days my Iphone gets called by an o845 number claiming to be united kingdom, and it rings just twice then stops. Now if you are crazy enough to call it, bang 1.18p on your monthly bill. Vodafone say they are invalid numbers and cannot trace them. I block them and of course a few days later it happens again from a different variation of the number. Surely there should be some look up by telephone companies which can say this number is valid, as indeed it has to be as there is a recording on the other end as I found out once. It does not say what it is, its just thanks for calling we will be in touch. So how come the companies cannot just disconnect the subscriber that owns said numbers? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff