A nuisance caller got through TruCall

This is the first to get through the net, since I installed our BT 8500's with the TruCall system 8-o .
The system logged a series of calls from 01134196912. Which at first glance suggested it might have been a genuine and local number, so I tried ringing it back and it rang unanswered, though it did sound a bit odd the ringing tone. The caller had failed to announce their name and press # to get through in each of their calls.
Then I tried to trace where the call had originated 0113 is a Leeds code, also our area code, except all of our codes (so far as I am aware) have a 2 following the code - 0113 2??????. 01134 didn't seem to exist, or so it seemed from Google.
The same caller tried again, this time said his name and pressed #. I accepted the call and from the accent it was probably a call from either Australia or maybe South Africa. The caller wanted me to take a survey - I will not repeat here what I said to him.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num 134196912
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote on 10/11/2016 :

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there, are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls, and I can see the number. I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend to be actual people), any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.
--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Translation: I can't afford a landline anymore as I'm skint and on the bones of my arse.

I have a landline, it comes with the fibre internet. I just took the phone out.
--
What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
Lipstick, if he's lucky.

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

I'll have gone out! :-)
--
Chris Green
·

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

If whatever you were phoning me about was urgent, you can leave a message on voicemail, or send a text.
--
Send all problems by email
Only phone me with EMERGENCY problems (e.g. LPT1 on fire)

Hardly 'very few', I think most of the ones that I have access to have the caller's number available and/or shown. Our DECT phones are so similar to a mobile that many people forget that they're *not* mobiles.
--
Chris Green
·

With BT caller display isn't a standard feature. You have to ask for it and IIRC pay too.
--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

It was free on Talktalk, you just needed to select it. Now on Plusnet, they charge us 99p per month for the feature, but it is essential to allow the Trucall to do its magic.
:

o.

s.

It's either 50p or 1 a month.
-- Hit the button marked 'STOP' with remaining hand.

With BT its free if you find the right web page to sign up for it.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

it

With BT you're already paying too much anyway.
-- A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked, "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?"

It depends on how many calls you make on the land-line, and when.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Everyone else is cheaper for everything.
--
A man spoke frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"
"Is this her first child?" the doctor asked.

Depends what you pay for the phone. I've always just grabbed the cheapest phone possible, or sometimes gone for a cordless. It's just a bloody phone, I don't need chrome plated edging.
--
Just got back from my mate's funeral. He died after being hit on the head with a tennis ball. It was a lovely service.

... and what does your mobile cost?
--
Chris Green
·

e:

e there,

isance calls,

do.

ave

les.

pest

phone,

It was free. My neighbour has one of those expensive contracts which gives him a new one every couple of years. They don't want the old one back.
But any price of mobile will give you caller ID.
-- Riots in Birmingham last month caused over 1 million worth of improvements.

It was free to you, I've acquired all sorts of phones that way but it doesn't really mean much. A mobile phone is fundamentally a much more expensive device than a POTS one.
--
Chris Green
·