Nuisance caller attempts increasing again

After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message <q6t8bl$nmd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> writes

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I told them to fix it asap as I will be looking for compensation for each day I am without service.

Reply to
Scott

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also had the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded message with a press 1 or 2 option.

Me: But I have cable Internet, I don't use BT?

Him: Sir, did you know all Internet connections go though BT ...

After wasting the first callers time as long as possible and him talking of 'blocking my Internet connection' if I didn't do as he asked, his parting shot was that he was going to 'block my a$$'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had to disable my call blocker (TrueCall) so I could let through a call from a large switchboard. Didn't really want to put them through the hoops of leaving a message.

And the spam calls started again near right away. But didn't annoy as much as before since I now have the means to block them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had much stronger language than that, one even resorted to what I presume was his mother tongue.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Had a new one last night. Asking for me by full name. "I understand you have shares in XXXX (a large multinational Co)". "I am calling from a large USA company who wishes to take this company over."

Me: Please confirm in writing. Caller Hangs up.

Makes a change from BT, MS and the other usual scammers.

Reply to
chris.c.smith55

Not very new, I had one like that about 3 years ago.

Reply to
charles

Never respond to these!

Well ... he's wrong.

Well, you're wasting your own time too. But I don't object if you're willing to tie up some scum cold caller's time.

Reply to
Mark

I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing the odd legit call is worth it.

Reply to
Mark

pressing '1' can connect you to a premium rate call number.

Recently, when I was bored, talked with the man from 'Microsoft Technical Suport'. He asked me about the key to the right of the left-hand Control. "It's a sort of gear wheel, "gear wheel?" "Yes, rather like the one you get for 'settings' on a tablet." "Is it a tablet, then?" "No, it's a desktop machine, but the symbol is just like the symbol on a tablet." long pause "Is it a Windows machine ?" "No" Mr M$oft hangs up.

Reply to
charles

The TrueCall is good in that you enter your phone book and it lets any on that straight through. Any others have to jump through hoops to leave a message. Which I'd say no spam caller is going to bother with. It's also easy to disable - if you simply switch off the mains to it, it routes the lines straight through. Quicker than entering a code. Downside is it isn't free.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use a BT 8500 phone which is like TrueCall. i.e. It is effective.

Reply to
Mark

Just run me through how you think that can be done?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That sounds unlikely... Got any supporting evidence?

Reply to
John Rumm

That rumour has been discounted as untrue before.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mark has brought this to us :

That is what I do, only the known to the phones numbers get straight through, the rest can deal with the blocker. Any valid organisation will follow the procedure and get through the blocker, they are used to them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :

It is free with a set of BT8500 phones :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You might feel differently after someone you care about ends up in the ER after a serious accident or medical emergency and you only find out about it after they have died etc.

Reply to
Jac Brown

But someone you know who is desperate for some help from you, calling from someone else's phone or a borrowed mobile may be too desperate to fart around with the blocker.

Reply to
Jac Brown