Windpower setup suitable for charging batteries

What pieces of kit would I need for a small quick and dirty windpower setup suitable for charging AA, AAA, C and D-sized batteries?

I was thinking as follows:

  • small turbine, producing maybe 100W

  • load going to 12V leisure battery and, in times of high wind, to an electric bar fire

  • inverter from leisure battery putting out 240V

  • plug ordinary mains battery charger into that

What else would I need?

Thanks!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

It isn't really worth the effort unless you are very very off grid. Even then you'd be better off with a solar powered charger - assuming you don't have a 24/7 need to recharge batteries.

Most times I have needed off grid power humping a 12Ahr SLA to the remote location has won hands down as a solution.

If you must do it then cut out the middle man and use a charger that is designed to plug into a cars 12v cigarette lighter socket. Be prepared to be disappointed turbine output scales as the cube of the windspeed.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Unicorn farts and pixie dust.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

better would be 12Ahr Lithium

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A valid reason to do it?

If you are off grid and have to do it then what you want is commonly obtainable to keep batteries topped up on yachts left on moorings where a mains supply isn?t available so investigating that market is a good start.

This link given as an example only, I have no experience of them shows what it is out their from one of the recognisable makers.

You will find that even a basic set up would cost a lot .

To do it on the cheap you would really have to a do lot of DIY and depending on how Heath Robinson your skills are you might find bits in skips such as a bicycle wheel with a hub dynamo which you could drive from a home made windmill built out of wood via a belt or chain and all sort of variations there of.

Put homemade wind generator into YouTube will show you plenty of ideas some more practical than others. A lot will depend on wether you had a Meccano or Lego upbringing.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Ha! I like that. That's a metaphor for a lot more than just the OP's question.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Less weight to carry certainly.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1

If you only want a few watts then a stepper motor and some belt and pulley to spin it up from a modest DIY windmill would do. I have done a hand powered version of same for demonstrating how much effort is needed to generate a few watts of electricity from bits in my junk box.

We did a larger one using a bike and 60W mains lamp load vs 14W CFL. That didn't survive but the smaller LED vs filament bulb one did.

Meccano or better Dexion would at least stand a chance.

Reply to
Martin Brown

that 100w will only be occasional

100w to a 240v 1kW element means it running at 240v / root 10 = 76v

a good idea

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

buy a model aircraft motor. you will get a three phase supply at around

85% efficiency off what a prop can put in, Also used a step up gearbox and a BIG prop.

Still will be the square root of f*ck all use...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Remember when small wind turbines were on sale in B&Q? Think where they've all gone to ... now do you still want one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

And where are you going to site this so the control circuits don't use more power than any domestic turbine can produce in the uk.

Reply to
alan_m

Can you not get chargers that normally run from car batteries as inverters are a big waste of power considering what you are going to use it for. If it was some kind of mains device then yes, but I guess its up to you. Of course boats have often these capabilities but I think their voltage is often different to cars. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also I did notice that at least in some areas, a wind turbine of your own needs planning permission and s often noisy and an attraction to Nimbi types. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

200W is a pretty BIG turbine..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Solar power is better in winter?

Reply to
Paul Welsh

Not that big

Come on, admit you would like one.

It would be like one of those steam engines we had as kids.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

No, I won't, because I wouldn't

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Marland snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.co.uk> writes

  1. A yacht left on moorings usually has the advantage of sea (or land) breezes. The same generator on land would not.
  2. I lent my portable car-starter device lots of times to yachts with solar or wind generators. We never actually needed it, and I never felt the need to replace 2 batteries and a bunch of big switches with anything more complicated.
Reply to
Bill

than wind, yes. Look up the return figures on those B&Q wind jobs

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr