Windpower setup suitable for charging batteries

About as useful, too.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The OP was suggesting 100W

Reply to
alan_m

Specified as 200W @ a wind speed of 10m/s

10m/s = 19 knots

and the average wind speed in the UK for the last 8 years is approx 7 to

8 knots.

alan_m

The average isn't all that much use either. The last couple of weeks it's been 20kts or so, which means we need 3 weeks of SFA to get the average down...

Sometimes I wonder why I ever took up sailing!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

harry (not the OP) usually spouts a lot of hot air.

Could that not be captured and used as green energy?

Reply to
ARW

its generally brown and full of shit .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:q6vh47$8q3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If it's easily takedownable and movable it doesn't count as (and indeed isn't) a permanent structure.

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Paul Welsh snipped-for-privacy@spam.com wrote in news:q6vsjh$d6b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Wind is best here on Lewis - there's a lot of it all year round and the sun may be up for a lot of hours in the summer but is low in the sky even then.

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Have you been to Lewis? :-)

Reply to
Harold Davis

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:q6vh0i$768$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes - this would be a good idea if available.

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Solar power is popular in Alaska, apparently. Who'da thought it!

Chris Hogg

OK its higher than the average for the whole of the UK

4 months @ > 9 m/s 2 months @ > 8 m/s 6 months @ > 6 m/s

These figures are measured at 10 metres above ground level which would be the height a wind turbine would have to be positioned to provide clean wind which is strong and laminar.

alan_m

bin to Orkney

FUCK it blows

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have a look at Hugh Piggotts pages at

across the water from you and someone who knows what he is talking about.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I just pulled some data off

Cambridge for the first 64k samples (I have an old Excel!) the average is 32Kt, but for about an eighth of the time it's 2kts or less.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Cambridge has on average stronger winds than the Isle of Lewis?

Reply to
alan_m

As I recall from my University days, there's nothing between Cambridge & the Urals. It gets cold.

Reply to
Charles Hope

In article snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, Charles Hope snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> scribeth thus

Don't think its that bad, and what's the Urals got to do with it most all the time the wind here is from the south west..

tony sayer

Looking at those sites - yes. Much to my surprise!

32Kts is 36MPH. That site says Lewis is only 23MPH in January.

I'd assumed Cambridge would be less windy, but lacking any other stats those Cambridge figures would give us some idea of how often the wind is SFA.

If you have better stats for Lewis I'd be interested to see them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Harold Davis snipped-for-privacy@is.not.a.real.email.address.invalid> Wrote in message:

A spreadsheet to compare & confirm the poor return on investment of all that hardware versus just using mains?

Reply to
Jim K..