CORGI HomeCare?

I got a letter today to "Worcester Boiler Owner", with "Important Boiler information from CORGI" on the envelope. Basically a mailshot to join CORGI HomeCare ie 'insurance'. So junk mail and it's going in the shredder, but...

I don't believe they got my details from Worcester-Bosch, who have their own scheme, and haven?t bothered me lately. So I assume this came from CORGI, who as we know have been replaced by 'GasSafe'. So it seems they have my details because the installation details were supplied as part of the registration required when the boiler was installed ("Our records show your Worcester boiler was installed in 2005..").

I did not give them my information for use in marketing, and I think the use of the CORGI brand and logo could be misleading. Who should I complain to?

Reply to
djc

I got a letter today to "Worcester Boiler Owner", with "Important Boiler information from CORGI" on the envelope. Basically a mailshot to join CORGI HomeCare ie 'insurance'. So junk mail and it's going in the shredder, but...

I don't believe they got my details from Worcester-Bosch, who have their own scheme, and haven?t bothered me lately. So I assume this came from CORGI, who as we know have been replaced by 'GasSafe'. So it seems they have my details because the installation details were supplied as part of the registration required when the boiler was installed ("Our records show your Worcester boiler was installed in 2005..").

I did not give them my information for use in marketing, and I think the use of the CORGI brand and logo could be misleading. Who should I complain to?

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I'd ask on uk.legal.moderated. You're not the only person this has happened to and it does look as if CIRGI have been [mis?]using information, supplied to them by installers using their service for notifying boiler installations in accordance with building regs, to spam said installers' customers trying to sell them this entirely unrelated commercial insurance deal.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I've had one of these, too, in the last week. I'll watch with interest to see if you get anywhere.

I'm on my second letter to Ofcom about foreign callers saying they represent Sky who hang up when I ask for their street address, so I'm in the mood to join in attacking about anyone who has misused my data.

Reply to
Bill

Information Commissioner deals with misuse of personal data.

Reply to
hugh

In article , hugh writes

And in IME is a useless c*ut who makes it unnecessarily awkward to make a complaint. IMV a crude attempt to reduce their workload.

Reply to
fred

I don't think the "Sky" callers are misusing any data. They are just dialling numbers randomly on the basis of a 30% chance the owner will have Sky.

tim

Reply to
tim....

This was not my experience.

tim

Reply to
tim....

In message , tim.... writes

Yebbut, I don't think it's totally random. They have our surname, and are bright enough to say is that Mr or is that Mrs.... depending on who answers.

I actually feel quite sorry for the poorly paid of downtown Timbuktu or wherever on the end of the line, but Sky should police the use of their name more actively. Ofcom's first reply said they now can fine organisations up to £2million for illegal random calling.

These foreign calls are quite separate from the insurance scammers posing as a Sky maintenance organisation. They have called twice, and they hang up if we try to engage them in conversation. If there's a 3rd time, I'll take them on.

I have cobbled together a little database to enter details and anything learnt from these random calls.

Reply to
Bill

In article , tim.... writes

Although not directly relevant for this case, the process for telephone related complaints is a good example. It requires that:

  1. You quote the full name, address and postcode of the abusing company.

You may only have the caller ID of the caller so you cannot trace these details. They could reverse trace these details of course but refuse to, adding a layer of unnecessary complexity and dramatically reducing the number of 'valid' complaints that they will receive.

  1. You must contact the company to ask them to stop and wait a 'reasonable' time before they will consider your complaint.

In the case of random dialler scammers, I have no intention of wasting my time and money contacting these scum. Per 1., their address is not available and on principle I will not call their revenue share numbers to beg them to remove me from their calling list.

As I am unable to comply with these 2 requirements I cannot complain to the ICO. This makes them worse than useless IMO as they claim to be the enforcement authority but then block valid complaints.

Reply to
fred

OK I did have that as it was a "high street" name.

There was no suggestion that I should do this.

tim

Reply to
tim....

In article , tim.... writes

It's a specific requirement in the telephone related complaints procedure.

Have a scan at the page here and the linked complaints form, absolute joke:

to correct my earlier statement, they're not cnuts of course but I certainly view them as a collective chocolate fireguard.

Reply to
fred

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:52:15 +0100, Bill uttered:

I've had one as well. Addressed to 'Worcester Boiler Owner' with the correct address but no name.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I was intrigued by this when I got it and went through the process of registering to see what happened. When it came to subscribing the web site informed me that as my postcode was within the M25 I would have to pay a £3 monthly surcharge. The only proble is that I am not within the M25, rather about 8 miles away from it. I e-mailed the company to point this out and their reply was that teh surcharge applied within and around the M25. I wrote back pointing out that their wevb site said otherwise and that I didn't really want to do business with a company that was less than honest.

I have heard nothing more from them.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The advertising standards agency now has authority over website advertising - as they keep telling you over and over and over if you listen to Classic FM

Reply to
hugh

In my case, the caller witheld their ID and the calls were silent so I couldn't identify them; this was later confirmed as a rogue autodialler. As the calls were to my mobile and happening up to four times a day, this was very inconvenient. The phone company would not release any details to me, as the number was withheld or contact them on my behalf to tell them to stop, their only advice was to contact the police and report nuisance calls. The police response was that they receive hundreds of these and that they would not follow it up, as it was a waste of manpower and advised me to change my number. Unfortunately changing my number is not a viable option, as not only do friends and family know this one, so do clients, suppliers, agents, HMRC, accountants, utilties, even my local garage and I can guarantee that I'd miss informing someone of the change and that it would lose (possibly significant) sums of money.

I was also advised to block calls from withheld numbers, by the police - who advised me of this during a call from them on a witheld number! Many of the agencies that I use and clients withold their numbers, so this was a non-starter too.

For now the calls have died off, but I know from previous experience, that I will experience another 10 days or so of it every three months.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker