Still waiting for corgi cert.

I have had a Baxi 105He fitted two months ago and i have still not received any certificate from corgi. the guy who fitted the boiler is registered with corgi and he appears on their web site. I am unsure if he has commissioned the boiler as the page at the back of the boiler manual that shows the commissioning details has not been filled in. Is there anything else that i should find out if he has done, what should i do now?

Reply to
imperial

Start by asking the installer to come and fill in the commissioning details (and more importantly the Benchmark card which came with the boiler, if he hasn't already). If you get no joy, ask CORGI.

A friend is having a boiler replaced at the moment. The installer is a self-employed CORGI. He charges £100 extra per installation to do all the regulatory notifications/paperwork which is what he works out it costs him to keep up with the bureaucracy. He advises customers to check with the local BCO as it's sometimes cheaper to do a notification through them rather than have him do it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That has interesting implications for anyone who's having a boiler fitted as part of other refurbishment which means a building notice is already being submitted; it wouldn't cost much more to include a boiler replacement. How does that work in practice; does the CORGI pass on all responsibility for the installation (all paperwork and the integrity of the installation) to the BCO?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Most Corgis are illiterate anyway

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I would reckon on the £100 being a fair estimate of the time expense and trouble involved. However I view the £100 as being part of the job which could be discounted for a 'grey market install' which is not a segment I wish to deal with.

The law requires that the comissioning procedures are followed. In a typical example with a modern boiler this might only be obvious checks (like is it leaking) and a simple gas pressure measurement.

Now let's say you were upgrading a heating system: Existing is a Thorn Apollo installed by Servowarm with manual diverter valve.

You replace just about every thing including the HWC you add full S-plan controls, previous the boiler was plugged into a 13A socket by the boiler.

Now to complete the required Dead Tree Abuse....

Notifications via CORGI for Heating controls Fused spur for boiler supply (supply is in kitchen). Boiler replacement. Vented cylinder.

The Benchmark log book would have to be filled in anyway but often was not done. Without this the manufacturers might wriggle on the guarantee.

The guarantee form needs to be countersigned by the installer or commissioning fitter.

The electrics will need a minor works certificate from results indicated by you certified as calibrated 16th Edition tester.

It's not only your time on site it time doing the notifications online and there is substantial cost to amortise on the test gear.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

CORGI members are permitted to self certify the boiler and other components as compliant with the various regs.

The boiler replacement might add susbstantially to the scale charge for the BCO notice but less so as part of a big job.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Sure, that's what I was getting at - eg, for my local council, once your building notice exceeds 5K, if you added on a job valued at 2K (for fitting a new boiler), the extra fee would be no more than about £25; depending on the costs involved you might even stay within the same band and pay nothing more at all.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Presuambly wouldn't the above have to be performed by a Part-P registered person; ie assuming the engineer isn't, then a suitably registered electrician would be needed to do it?

David

Reply to
Lobster