What's it called? - a latching spring retraction mechanism

As part of re-wiring the workshop I want to be able to pull down a socket (on a flex) from the ceiling when required and then to have it retract when not needed. The action would be something like a roller blind: pull and let go to latch down, pull again to unlatch and retract. The roller blind mechanisms are quite long and fit in a tube whereas I need something that winds a string. What do I need?

Reply to
nothanks

I have never seen anything like that. You could have a non-retracting one using a socket from an extension lead and a flex outlet plate

Reply to
harry

Is

what you want?

(Only cheaper!)

Reply to
Robin

bistable switch and an electric motor?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Assuming you mean something that isn?t a actually winding the flex in like on some lamps then if you are looking for something simple just to hang a socket from then you could use an adjustable hanging basket hanger as used to lower them for watering.

Link given as example only ,there are many other suppliers at more or less cost.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Am 20.03.2019 um 16:09 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com:

Such a cable-retracting mechanism can be found in some floor vacuum cleaners.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Thinking about if he wants something that actually winds the cable in then many people already have something similar on a vacuum cleaner , a quick perusal of espares shows they hold some units as spares which the OP may be able to adapt. Or he could go skip diving, hang around the the local tip.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Nearly. It doesn't need to reel-in the cable, only lift a flying socket a few feet.

Reply to
nothanks

clasic way to do that is a counterbalance [spring] and some friction

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That looks interesting - I didn't know about those. It isn't obvious whether they latch up and down so I'll look out for one to play with in a garden centre.

Reply to
nothanks

somewhewre in my bookcase is a volume of Heath Robinson inventions. I'm sure there'll be something suitable in it.

Reply to
charles

is it OK if it leaves a loop of flex dangling a few/2 feet?

Reply to
Robin

My hope is that, if the retraction device is in-line with the cord (forming a triangle with sides: ceiling, cable, flex), it will/should keep the cable under light tension when retracted and prevent a significant dangle.

Reply to
nothanks

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com was thinking very hard :

Rod, or tube, with a socket mounted on the bottom end, hinge the rod at the top and add a spring to pull it up out of the way. Add a cord to pull it down when needed and arrange the spring tension, so the extra weight of an item plugged in, is enough to keep the socket pulled down.

The socket would need to be wired in flex, and probably ought to plug into a fixed high level socket.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds rather like a rise and fall ceiling light.

Pull down to where wanted and it stays there. Pull down again and release and it retracts. Commonly used over dining tables. The power cable is usually a curly cable with the rise and fall support cord running down the centre.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, I remember them being popular in the 70s. There must be lots in recycling skips - I'll look in the local one.

Reply to
nothanks

If the other suggestions don't bear fruit I could use a length of bungee cord to do this. The flex will be connected to a flex outlet, ceiling pull switch and an FCU from the workshop ring.

Reply to
nothanks

you could, but you'd then have to hang from the thing to get it to descend. :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Basically a block-and-tackle arrangement with a weight and lots of friction...

(just to illustrate the principle of the thing)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I have seen two types but many years ago, so may well not be allowed these days. One is kind of like track lighting where a track comes down a wall and the socket is on the track. The other worked a little like a vacuum cleaner chord retractor. Gave nothing but trouble though due to the lack of adjustment in the sprung rotation bit. However it was a very long time ago and a dangling line socket which often never retracted high enough kept hitting people in the head!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff