Simple spring blinds - can one get them?

We want some quite small and very simple spring roller blinds. The size is about 100cm wide and 50cm drop. By 'simple' I mean that we don't want any sort of clever latching mechanisim in the blind, we just want to be able to pull it down and hook it at the bottom of the window with the tension remaining. This is so that they will work on some non-vertical (boat) windows.
So can anyone suggest a supplier for something like this? All the 'spring roller blinds' I can find have complicated 'latching' spring mechanisms and we definitely don't want this. I've tried sending a couple of enquiries to suppliers but they really don't seem to have much idea what they're selling so I've not had sensible answers.
--
Chris Green
·

Yes Wilkinsons used to have some but all the ones recently seem to be the pull down with a cord pull up with a cord type. Maybe the sping ones are considered a he4ealth risk or something. Brian
--
----- -
https://www.harmonyblindsofbolton.co.uk/blinds/roller-blinds
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:57:30 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes, but they appear to be 'clever' ones and I doubt they'll work in the way we want them to - maintainig the tension on the blind with it hooked at the bottom.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green presented the following explanation :

Have you looked at the blinds fitted to modern caravans?
The one in the front window of mine is larger than that, runs in a guide at either side, but the guides include a facility to latch them down at various heights, including full down. Its looks possible to break the latches off, which you say you do not want. They fully exclude almost all light.

They might be what we want. If the latching is simply some hooks in the guides then that would be OK. Where can I buy them?
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green laid this down on his screen :

A caravan dealer and or repairer will be the place to track down a source. Mine have two guide slots, one for the blind a second for a fly screen.
On 7/17/2017 11:50 AM, Chris Green wrote:

I guess it might not be all that difficult to disable the latch mechanism. IIRC the "spring" and the "latch" are physically separate.
You can buy mechanisms without the blind material from John Lewis and online suppliers.

Well the John Lewis ones are stupidly expensive though, they *start* at almost £100, that's ridiculous!
--
Chris Green
·

On 7/17/2017 9:38 PM, Chris Green wrote:

They weren't the last time I bought a couple (admittedly that was some years ago).

The add-on spring mechanisms are £9 (but nearly all the cusotmer reviews are very negative) but the blinds they go with all seem to be in the £100 plus price range.
--
Chris Green
·

On 7/18/2017 10:37 AM, Chris Green wrote:

What I was suggesting was the complete roller mechanism without the blind material.
Chris Green wrote:

I seem to remember reading about some flat headed brat managing to hang himself on these sort of blinds.
On 7/17/2017 9:34 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I suspect that was a wind-up, wind-down type. I have seen these in the past with relatively strong cords, current ones seem to use the "click together" plastic beads which have much lower tensile strength.

It's the 'other way around' I think, all the blind manufacturers are paranoid about children hanging themselves on the standard roller blind chain. The 'automatic' and 'spring' versions don't have the chain so there's nothing for the child to hang themselves on. Most seem to suggest having a stick with a hook on the end for raising and lowering the blind. The automatic/spring blinds are advertised as child-safe.
Our problem is really that we want something really simple as these are small blinds in easy reach (boat roof/ceiling is only just over 6ft from floor) so they can simply be pulled down my hand pulling on the bottom of the blind (no string or long stick needed) and can be held down by a hook (also in easy reach of the user) at the bottom. Being only 50/60cm drop the spring doesn't need to be very strong and 'whizzing' up isn't really a major issue.
--
Chris Green
·

These aren't what I woul;d call a normal domestic blind. Have you tried a caravan supplier?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I've been looking at 'caravan blinds' but all I can find is suppliers of spare parts for them. They also seem to come as complete assemblies with guides at the sides which we really don't want.
Why is it that something very, very basic and simple isn't available. All we need is a spring loaded roller and two supports plus some material wrapped around the roller. I'm beginning to think that DIY of this may be more practical than trying to buy one!
--
Chris Green
·

On 18/07/17 11:08, Chris Green wrote:

local companies make blinds here.
The pull and lock, pull again to release type are common. The current house is loaded with them
Amazon sells this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Or for spring loaded
http://www.gbinteriors.co.uk/acatalog/Spring-Loaded-Roller-Blind-Kits.html
supply your own blind fabric and off you go.

"Saki"

That's exactly what we don't want because we want tension on the blind when it's hooked in the down position. It's also extra complication that we just don't need (and looking at the number of problems with them we want to avoid!).

Yes, I've already found these.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green presented the following explanation :

If you are struggling to source new caravan blinds, it might be worth trying a caravan dismantlers for some which are too big and cutting them down to size. They would be trivially easy to cut down to size.
I needed several parts to repair my own caravan a few years ago, including DG window and panels. I ended up talking to a company in Wales, which seemed able to source all I needed and more, all very efficiently operated.