Repairing cracks in pebble-dashed render

Hi all,

I've noticed some cracks have appeared in the south facing wall. Looks like they've been previously 'repaired' some years ago and I'd like to re- do them properly before going over the entire wall with the Sandtex. If this was a plain rendered wall I'd know what to do, but since it's pebble- dashed, I'm somewhat clueless as to how to go about it. Suggestions on materials and technique will therefore be most welcome! TIA.

public/

public/

public/

Reply to
Chris

I'd finger fill it, ie wipe it level with a finger, which can follow the contour either side of the crack. Can be a bit rough on the fingers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

IMO these fine cracks keep re-appearing. I believe the correct remedy is to dig them out quite deeply and then re-fill with mortar, and apply pebbles into the wet mortar more-or-less individually.

I've had then on our property for years, and nothing seems to be permanent. My most recent attempt is to use Evo-Stik Sticks Like Sh*t waterproof sealant, finger-filled as suggested by NT. It's overpaintable, waterproof, flexible, suitable for outdoor use etc. It was the 'flexible' bit I liked, to allow a bit of 'give' in the crack as it moves with heating and cooling, depending on the weather. Only time will tell if it's any good.

Chris Hogg

I would also ask if its blown render, the old hammer test for hollow sounding bits. The last thing one wants is half a ton of pebbles and cement to fall on ones head in the middle of winter.

Its probably OK but I've seen it happen in the past. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is there any purpose in pebble-dashed finishes other than decorative ones? I mean, do they provide better insulation or something? Or wind- resistance??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've never thought of it as being anything other than decorative, and it's usually left unpainted. But once someone paints over it, it needs to be painted fairly regularly to keep it looking presentable and it's hard work. I used a B&Q angled masonry paint brush the last time I did ours (I actually got through a couple), with a circular scrubbing action, and did sections of wall in succession.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I presume the exposed pebbles makes them harder wearing. It certainly makes them ugly and impossible to clean.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr